Evinrude 40 (1994) Idle Issue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stlfishin

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Evinrude 40 Jet: I took the boat to the shop for some work and had them change out the plugs and gas filter while it was there. Motor ran great before going in, has 125 even compression, new fuel lines, new spark plugs, fresh fuel and new power-head gasket. It runs fine at all speeds but dies quickly at idle which makes it hard to get in gear without killing it. It will even die after about a 30 second run with fast idle lever up. So here's my question, I've attached a picture of the fuel filter, as you can see the arrow is pointing down: should it be re-installed and pointing up? Would this reversal of the fuel filter itself create fuel starvation at idle & fast idle and allow it to run fine at wide open or higher RPMs? Of course the dealer is closed for the week for deer season and he's really too far away to drive to. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 682
I don't think it would make a difference if the fuel filter is up or down. The arrow should just indicate the direction of fuel flow. What brand of plugs did they use? Might check gap and see what it's at.

LOL ... (not funny tho) ..... sounds like you went to the boat mechanic in my town, probably charged you triple too!