100hp 71 evenrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
Just picked one up with title. Anyone know about this motor? I plan to sell or trade for a 30- 40hp motor.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Found me a guy who wants to trade a 1963 40hp evenrude remote with electric start and charging that needs carb and fuel pump, points, plugs, and wires. I think I'm gonna jump on the trade... Unless someone says neigh. It's close To the year of the boat.[emoji6]

Well a 52 year old motor likely needs every seal & gasket changed too, so plan on a full rebuild if you want it reliable.

I'm cool with rebuilding the motor. Even if it needs new piston rings. besides with Christmas coming up my financial advisor has my account on hold lol! Till next year. For now I'll just go about tearing into the boat and motor to see what needs to be repaired and get the little that I can as I go along. I'll be asking for help from you guys on rebuilding the motor and boat. I'll start a build thread once this thing gets rolling.

Well the guy with the 40hp backed out due to not having the title... Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a 20- 40hp outboard. Anyone here in Texas have one?

There are a million parts out there for the older 40hp engines.
The engine, if it has compression will not need a full rebuild in order to be reliable. A full service should be all that is necessary.
Ignition, carburetion, water pump and gearcase re-seal if necessary should be all. All the parts necessary to accomplish this should be available.
When looking at the older 40hp engines try and locate a manual shift one over an electric.

Pappy said:
There are a million parts out there for the older 40hp engines.
The engine, if it has compression will not need a full rebuild in order to be reliable. A full service should be all that is necessary.
Ignition, carburetion, water pump and gearcase re-seal if necessary should be all. All the parts necessary to accomplish this should be available.
When looking at the older 40hp engines try and locate a manual shift one over an electric.
Pappy what years are the electric shift? I've been reading and I read they are given a bad rep from folks who don't know how they work. Thanks.

Not necessarily. Usually by now the wiring harnesses are in pretty poor shape and they cannot function without a good harness. Probably the bad rap you hear about. They run flawlessly and shift buttery smooth and are stone reliable when everything is intact. Years are from around 63 to 66? Not sure. Easy to identify as there is no shift handle on the stbd. side of the lower pan.

Oh ok. I'm no stranger to rewiring things if need be. I do however want reliability because breaking down sucks.

Latest posts