Gas friendly hp size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
I know it's not a realistic thought, but i figured I'd ask what's the normal consumption of outboards between 25 and 40? What size tank should I put in my tin for a day of fun.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

What speed would you say your going at that rpm?

Good deal! Thanks! I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say. I am thinking a 30 to 40hp May be the solution to power my tin.

Texas Prowler said:
Good deal! Thanks! I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say. I am thinking a 30 to 40hp May be the solution to power my tin.

2-stroke or 4-stroke?

The rule of thumb is a 10hp motor will burn 1 gal of fuel per hour a WOT. a 20hp motor 2 gals, a 25hp motor 2.5 gallons.

I get 7.5 miles / gallon + at cruise 4800 rpm 23 mph with a 40hp Merc 4stroke on a 16' welded MonArc. 2 people and gear - total weight ~ 1,300

One rule of thumb is that an OB of about 75-80% of the hull maximum rated horsepower will give the best fuel efficiency.

To back this up, there are some boat tests I've seen from Bob Stearns, a noted marine/boating author. He tested the same boat/same hull with a 90, 115 & 130 or 140hp motors and the 115hp was the most furl efficient.

It was only 3-4mph slower at WOT, but more impressive, was only 1mph slower at the most efficient cruise speed, yet yielded about 3/4 mpg better fuel efficiency.

That's really interesting DaleH. Thanks for the info.

hankthecrank said:
Im running a Evin 20 hp modified to 30hp on a 16x48 tin, at WOT 28mph im getting 6mpg.
That's really cool! What year Evin do you have?

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I had a yammy 25 4 stroke on a 1448 and could ride for days on 6 gallons.
What year was that motor? That sounds awesome. My tin is pretty wide. I'm not sure how that will affect the speed though. Thanks
Texas Prowler said:
hankthecrank said:
Im running a Evin 20 hp modified to 30hp on a 16x48 tin, at WOT 28mph im getting 6mpg.
That's really cool! What year Evin do you have?

Thanks man. I'll have to save up for one of those. I bet they are pretty pricey.

Dude that is freakin cool. I'm impressed. Most wouldn't attempt modding a motor. I'm up for something like that if I am presented the same situation.

Latest posts