Where to start?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetailhntr

Reaction score
I have a 15hp Johnson that runs great once its warmed up but takes 10 pulls to get it started when cold. Most of the time i have to put it in gear and turn the throttle jus enough to not engage the stop ear on the flywheel to make it start. Any suggestions on where to start to make this a little friendlier to start? Thanks

There are way smarter people than I that will soon pipe in....but most engines have a way to increase the fuel flow without putting it into gear.

The choke system does that. Have you looked at that setting?

richg99

richg99 said:
Remember that I know less than many on here, but..

.I normally put full choke on until the engine starts... Then slowly back the choke off...

Even with doing that still issues

^ ive seen it happen as well, i would search for pictures of your engine models carb assembly on the internet and look for something obvious or put on backwards or wrong, if you verify that the carb is correct try pumping the inline primer ball more before you try and start the engine

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

I'm thinking it has a fuel issue and may need the carb cleaned. Primarily the low speed idle circuit. We have a 1960 18hp Johnson and a 1969 9.5hp Johnson and both of those normally start on the 1st pull after they've been run for the 1st time each season.

Also check the spark with an open air gap spark tester. A good spark will be bright blue and jump a 1/2" open gap. These testers can be found at any auto parts store for about $10.00

Is there a certain size pull rope i need? Thickness wise? Or will any work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappy said:
Am thinking it is 5/32" but don't shoot me if I am wrong! Going off of memory only.

That is correct I found it on another forum. It's the same as number five lawn mower rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts