tell me about this 3hp rude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
Went to my buddys last night, someone gave him this 3hp twin cylinder envinrude. Any information about it would be great. Anything he should know that is a quirk or specific to this motor? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20151124_164233.jpg
    20151124_164233.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 773
That looks like one really good little motor. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Ive got a 3hp twin evinrude 1965 model that I use on 10 and under lakes. They work perfect for slow trolling, just make sure the water pump is good. You won't see any pee or steady discharge, just a good mist. It moves my boat pretty good even with 2 adults and 2 kids aboard. Worth? Depends, Ive seen a completely refurbished one list at $495 and used ones sell between $25 and $250.

That is OMC's answer to the motor that will live forever. Labeled both Johnson and Evinrude, with variations with folding shaft, and various paint schemes, called Ducktwin, Yachtwin, and probably, Seahorse...it will require little maintenance and weighs in at 29 lbs. Self-contained fuel tank, mixed at 16:1, it was sold from the early 50's to mid or late 60's. Served to take someone out to their duck blind, as a kicker for their sailboats, moved smaller craft to fishing spots, and worked in reverse...all you had to do was spin the motor around, no messing with gear shifts :lol:

Ideal engine for square stern canoes and light river boats...easy on/easy off.

Parts available at Auto Parts stores and marine equipment supplies. Points, coils, impellers, etc.
three 3hp evinrude.jpg

Attachments

• EvinrudeDucktwin.jpg
    EvinrudeDucktwin.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 742
  • 3hp on pec wake.jpg
    3hp on pec wake.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 742
  • 50's Evinrude Lightwin Ad.jpg
    50's Evinrude Lightwin Ad.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 742
Could not add much to what Kismet said about it except for the fact that I have even more of them than he does !! :lol: And.....I have an original Ducktwin as well.
They are wonderful engines. When right they will idle down so low you can literally place a finger on the flywheel and let it spin with it.
I don't think my vintage engine stable will ever be without one. I normally pay between nothing and $100 for them depending on condition.
All service parts are still available through a certified dealer.
Here is a folding version of that engine. 1967 Evinrude Lightwin. Boat is a 1954 Grumman Sport Boat. Extremely rugged and stable at 44" wide.

Well, I erred, I should have shown 3 hps on canoes as well. :D
(But Pappy's is a classic.)

First Golden Hawk rehab square stern:
woodstock canoe right side in pec.jpg

Newer vintage of Golden Hawk:
canoe golden hawk at lake 7 13 005.jpg

Have your buddy read this website; https://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/default.htm
And here's a good site to look for used parts for it; https://penn.itgo.com/
Doug is a real good guy to deal with.

Steve A W

I will read it. I dont trust him with tools. He wanted me to see what i could do with it the other night but it was 30 degrees and cold.

Latest posts