Metal Gas Tank - Dent Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Although the process is for an older motorcycle tank, I am sure it will work
just as well on the OMC Johnson - Evinrude tanks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB0eRYHtpYo

honestly, I didn't know where to post this - - - you decide after watching it.

possibly in the "stupid - don't try this at home" box ???

Let's see....

Lights up a gasoline tank, with a match, inside of the workshop. Shheeesh...scary. I think I'd have flushed it out with water first, and, only then.....MIGHT....have tried the match trick.

"welds" using 110 volt ....stuffs bare stranded wire into the outlet ( did you notice how the outlet itself was moving around inside of the conduit box???).....

...."don't touch the wires together...there is a lot of electricity in there" What an understatement!

While connected to the 110-volt house current, he touches the piece of coat hanger onto the tank and holds it in place until it welds itself onto the tank.....I wonder why the house fuse didn't blow. He probably has a penny in the fuse-box (just for you older guys, Ha Ha )...

I WAS really impressed in how he cut the coat hanger with those little snips. I'd like a pair of those cutters.

It was nice to see his "power sander" at work. Just shows you don't need all of the fancy stuff to do some jobs.

Thanks for sharing. richg99

Couple ways to do it. Can use a rubber plug with a schrater valve fill with compressed air, add some heat to the dent. Should pop like fixing a two stroke dirtbike expansion chamber. The has to be purged very well or kaboom. Or fill tank with water use one of thos bidy shop puller pin welders and pull dent or just take to a professional amd let them blow themselves up or just buy a new tank

CedarRiver..... I think that you are correct. I have been .......officially ...spoofed.

Duhhhhhhh

thanks, richg99

p.s. The worst thing is....someone dumber than me might actually try one or more of those "tricks".

LOL LOL the first hint should be the black powder being lit inside the gas tank.
If you have ever played with matches as a kid, you know the flame/flash properties
of gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, gun powder cut from old shotgun shells, home made
black powder (yes, we made our own as a kid) and a host of other things that go POOF.

I very clearly remember at 10 years old, I put a match to the small end of an "empty" metal 5 gal
gas can to watch the little blue flame - - - and with my face over the top looking, it WHOOSHED
and the big cap blew off with enough force it busted both top and bottom lips, singed off ALL my
eyebrows and eyelashes and shortened my already buzzed haircut....... it was not a pretty sight.
I probably looked like that boy playing the banjo on the movie Deliverance LOL LOL
Of course looking back over my childhood, it is only by the Grace of God that I am still alive and
have two good eyes all my limbs and digits.
gas can.jpg

and yes, the author of that video has an imagination !! and was meant to be for entertainment ONLY.

Ahh yes the days of playing with gun powder. Teaching ourselves the difference between black powder and smokeless powder. Hard to explain why you have no eyebrows and 2nd degree burns on your hands to your mom

Johnny said:
home made
black powder (yes, we made our own as a kid)
Of course looking back over my childhood, it is only by the Grace of God that I am still alive and
have two good eyes all my limbs and digits.

10-4 on getting to retirement age in one pc, with a brain that still (kinda) works to boot.

The vet i used to work for said when they were kids they learned from a blaster how to use diesel, fertilizer and a blasting cap. This was back in the day when the hardware store sold caps and dynamite.

lovedr79 said:
Ahh yes the days of playing with gun powder. Teaching ourselves the difference between black powder and smokeless powder.

I'd wager there are a lot of people that don't have first hand experience with the differences between them. I think most people have never seen true Black Power. I learned the difference the semi "hard way" at around age 10. and it's a lesson I never forgot.

One of my friends went through the whole "make your own powder" bit and we learned from him that that was a waste of time. And in the end, we had more fun mixing saltpeter/potassium nitrate + sugar. Anyone know what kind of bomb that makes? LoL

lovedr79 said:
Ahh yes the days of playing with gun powder. Teaching ourselves the difference between black powder and smokeless powder. Hard to explain why you have no eyebrows and 2nd degree burns on your hands to your mom

Been there, done it. LOL :LOL2: I think I was in 6th grade.

I quickly learned that while smokeless powder burns at a controlled rate, black powder is all at once. And God help you if your hands or face are in close proximity. :shock:

PSG-1 said:
I quickly learned that while smokeless powder burns at a controlled rate, black powder is all at once. And God help you if your hands or face are in close proximity. :shock:

Now that sounds like the voice of first hand experience and at least the semi hard-way or full on hard-way experience. haha

Johnny said:
tell us how to put the proper mix of ox/acty in a styrofoam cup. :shock:
I never knew about this growing up but have you seen the crew on the show Deadliest Catch? They do the oxy/acty with one of those 50 gal heavy duty trash bags. Man that thing makes a bang.

I never studied chemistry so I can only speculate as to what we were making. I think it was hydrogen but it was certainly a gas that was lighter than air. Take one glass 10-12oz soda bottle, 2 oz of water, 1 tbsp lye, about 6" x 6" aluminum foil. Tear foil into pieces that can be wadded up and dropped into the bottle. Put foil pieces and water in bottle, use funnel and dump lye into bottle with water and foil. Swirl the bottle briefly to mix the contents. Stretch the balloon over the top of the bottle and as the lye dissolves the foil it creates a gas and enough pressure to inflate the balloon. Be ready to pull the balloon off of the bottle and tie the end before it pops. The whole process from the time you dump the lye into the bottle is pretty quick.

BTW The bottom of the bottle gets very hot during this process and could potentially crack but we never had that happen. But don't make the mistake of grabbing the bottle near the bottom during or shortly after doing this. I think it would melt a plastic bottle but am not sure.

Johnny said:
PSG - you are a welder . . . . .

tell us how to put the proper mix of ox/acty in a styrofoam cup. :shock:

I can do one better....got it on video where I scared the #$%^& out of my buddy in the shop one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYMpPmeALk

JMichael said:
PSG-1 said:

Now that sounds like the voice of first hand experience and at least the semi hard-way or full on hard-way experience. haha

Yes indeed. I'm a graduate of the school of lessons learned the hard way. The black powder incident was just one of many.

I never studied chemistry so I can only speculate as to what we were making. I think it was hydrogen but it was certainly a gas that was lighter than air. Take one glass 10-12oz soda bottle, 2 oz of water, 1 tbsp lye, about 6" x 6" aluminum foil. Tear foil into pieces that can be wadded up and dropped into the bottle. Put foil pieces and water in bottle, use funnel and dump lye into bottle with water and foil. Swirl the bottle briefly to mix the contents. Stretch the balloon over the top of the bottle and as the lye dissolves the foil it creates a gas and enough pressure to inflate the balloon.

That would be hydrogen. Sodium hydroxide (lye) NaOH, reacts with H2O and Al to form hydrogen gas. I did a lot of experimentation with chemistry at home when I was a teenager. I used to make hydrogen gas by melting pennies for the zinc, and reacting that with sulfuric or hydrochloric acid. Also made hydrogen once by the process of electrolysis. Another cool one is to react bleach with hydrochloric acid in a glass jug (wear a respirator, since this produces deadly chlorine gas) then drop a piece of burning steel wool into the jug. It creates a plume of brown smoke. I forgot exactly what it is, but I'm sure it's toxic, LOL

Like I said, it's a miracle I survived youth. [-X

JMichael said:
PSG-1 said:

I learned the hard way.......

Latest posts