Picked up Yesterday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's PA

Reaction score
This is a McCulloch 4 HP from about 1965.

BM2.jpg
BM1.jpg
BM3.jpg

It hasn't run in years but was drained and cleaned before it was stored.

I can't wait to get her running. I am trying to decide, do I change the coil, plugs and points and rebuild the carb or do I just fill her up and give her a go?

Plan is to put this on the back of my 12' Arkansas Traveler.

Do any of you have any experience with this motor?

Check some of the basics(spark & compression) & see if you can get it to run before you stick any money into it.If you get it running make sure its pumping water.If alls good I would replace the water pump impeller,change the lower unit oil & run it.

crazymanme2 said:
Check some of the basics(spark & compression) & see if you can get it to run before you stick any money into it.If you get it running make sure its pumping water.If alls good I would replace the water pump impeller,change the lower unit oil & run it.

That is pretty much my plan I think.

It is interesting that this motor is actually air cooled. It does have a water pump but it only cools the exhaust. Not sure if I can find a new impeller.

The points, condenser and carb kit are still available.

JP

crazymanme2 said:
You'd be surprised what parts are still around for those old motors.

Nice little motor! Be sure to use lawn mower or chainsaw type oil in the fuel for air cooled motors - not TW3 for water cooled outboards!