1980s 30 hp evinrude issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangle

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1980s model 30 hp evinrude. i have been having some issues with it. A little while back my impeller went out and i almost over heated it. after rebuilding the water pump i though i would be ok. the motor is electric start and when you start it the first time of a hunting or fishing outing it will start as soon as i hit the starter, it runs great, will idle and everything. but once i shut it off and and then try to restart it takes a minute or 3 for it to start. it seems like once it gets warm it does not want to start, but when it does finally start it runs like a champ. my uncle thinks it could be the timing is off? any advice is appreciated!

Since you only have a matter of seconds (usually) when an impeller failure occurs....you did overheat your engine so lets start there. Either that or you need to elaborate how you were incredibly lucky to catch it at the exact time it went out.
The timing will not change between cold and hot so you can forget about that theory.
Since the engine was probably overheated the place to start is with a compression check. This is assuming that the engine ran normally and started both cold and hot before the overheat. From what you wrote I did not see anything written that would support that it did not.

Or...if you wait long enough someone is bound to come along and tell you to run a can of seafoam through it........... :roll:

Seafoam won't help... Pappy... Or maybe it will lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts