Will an Lowe L1648 burn up a Mercury 7.5 hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaero

Reaction score
I may have a chance for a L1648. I know its underpowered but will running it on this jon boat ruin it? It's just something to use until I upgrade to bigger and better things.

This Outboard is a 1977 short shaft model.

It will likely be running below recommended WOT RPM's. Bogging the motor isn't great over the long term, but if it's the motor you have, use it.

I would run regular de-carbing treatments, and keep an eye on your plugs for indications of performance issues. It should be fine, but you can keep it running longer with a little more frequent maintenance.

Good luck!

If you are running a short shaft engine on a long shaft transom be very wary of cooling water flow. Watch your tell-tale like a hawk until you know you are getting cooling water one way or another.
Second issue you may encounter is propeller ventilation at higher throttle settings.

I ran a 1965 Johnson 5hp on my 1648 MV for a full fishing and hunting season before I got a 50/35 Johnson jet. It was slow, but got the job done and no ill effects on the motor other than a few broken shear pins. It would even push 3 guys and a boat full of decoys and other hunting gear up river, but it was painfully slow.

It'll be slow, but faster than paddling. I noticed when running a small motor on a bigger boat that you sometimes will get the same speed going half throttle and full throttle.

That's more along the lines of what I'd expect too - that much weight should cause the propeller to slip & raise a risk of over-reving the motor. That's one hell of a prop if it bogs down the RPMs.

Run it. I have a 9.9hp Mercury pushing a 20ft pontoon boat. As long as you're not in a hurry it'll be fine.

Fadec

Latest posts