piston pin buttons instead of clips?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingfast

Reaction score
Buttons seem to be the way to go for a land craft but my outboards wrist pin is vertical..still a good idea? Would the bottom button wear too fast?

Anybody with experience with piston pin buttons?

Work fine with 4 stroke stuff. But the ports in a 2 stroke wouldn't play very well with buttons.

I personally don't like the buttons, not the plastic ones. Overheat the engine and they tend to smear onto the bore and piston, creating a big mess. On an engine that would be under continuous load and higher RPM (like an outboard), I'd question the integrity of the plastic buttons in those conditions. Road vehicles, run at 1/4 load or less 90% of the time, with little chance of overheat, yes, they work. And they work in drag racing as well. But IMO they are a cheaper way to manufacture pistons. I wonder, does it take less time to install the buttons than clips or spirolox in a mass production standpoint? If yes...then there would be another reason to use them in road vehicles. Cheaper to manufacture.

Latest posts