Power Pack fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowgrn4

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my Weld-Craft the engine has been funky. '03 Johnrude 50 HP. Never idled worth a crap and would bog down over 4500RPM. Did a link and sinc, checked timing, Blows 132 compression on both jugs, rebuilt/cleaned carbs, removed VRO and installed 48 Special fuel pump(no oil tank came with rig). Coil was a little out of spec so I replaced it and the plugs too. No matter what I did it still would bog at 4500 and idle rough.

I had the top and side covers off to get to the shift shaft for a water pump service and lower unit and mid section repaint. I went through all the electrical plugs and connections to check for corrosion. When I removed the power pack a little water dripped out where some of the wires went in. I remembered seeing a U tube vid on fixing Quad, snowmobile and PWC CDI ignition brains so I decided to give it a try. WTH, if it didn't work I was gonna replace it anyway. I preheated the oven to 250 degrees and cooked the power pack on a glass jar for 15 minutes on each side. I let it cool in the sun for an hour and put blobs of epoxy resealing the wires entering the unit. Buttoned everything up and ran it in our lake. Sucker peed like a race horse, idled perfectly at 850 RPM and ran like a scalded cat up to 5700 RPM WOT. WOO HOO!

Happy,Happy, Happy.

I've had to fix office printers by baking the PC boards in a similar way. Unfortunately I've found it fixes them temporarily, and while they do last a while after you perform the procedure it doesn't rectify the defect that lead them to fail in the first place and they ultimately fail again. Not sure if your epoxy seal might stop moisture that was the source of the problem or not.

Nice to know with confidence that everything else is in good working order though :)