Help with motor choice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Coar

Reaction score
I have a 14' v hull boat. I have been working on the deck and am almost finished. I would like to buy an electric trolling motor. I fish small inland lakes but would consider fishing on the river. I fish with my kids so we only fish on nice weather days since they are 2.5 and 5 years old.I would like to use a small trolling (TM) motor exclusively as I am working with the small amount of money (since the boat has been designated "the money pit" by the wife) will a Min kota endura 36 do the job? what does lb of thrust mean? any help will be appreciated... vic PS- I should also add another full sized adult to the overall weight of the boat.

Victor I use a 1542 jonboat and run an endura 30 transom mount on it, and it handles the boat just fine... however, don't expect a lot of speed out of any trolling motor.
you ask about the Meaning of Thrust. Go to https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3410 and go down the page until you come to my post on there, it will tell you what Thrust actually is.

Don

Vic, i know how you feel when you say the wife says the boat is a $$$$$pit, However, do some shoping for the minn kota, There motors are awsome, I have one that is 23 years old and still going strong. I would get the most powerfull one you can afford, the more power (thrust) it has the easier it will move the boat and the longer the batt. will last on each trip.

if you buy an old used one you may be able to find a gas engine in your price range, i found mine for $50 and all it needed was a starter solenoid... you may not find one that cheap, but the point is you should look at all your options before you decide on something.

Latest posts