Anyone help me verify this? Mercury carb kit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaero

Reaction score
Part of me feels that Mercury may of given me the wrong information. I have a 1977 Mercury 7.5 manual start short shaft tiller outboard. Mercury gave me a parts number for a "Mercury Mercruiser Quicksilver" carb repair parts kit. My SN and parts kit number are below. Is this correct?

SN: 4743785
Parts number: 879194026

As a side note if this is the correct parts number how hard is the carb rebuild on this? I've never had good luck with carbs. I "had" an outboard mechanic until he told me he couldn't find a rebuild kit and decided not to take it to fix. This carb was supposedly rebuilt by previous owner and is spitting out gas where the air goes in causing it to choke on itself and die. They either did it wrong or didn't do it at all.

It's flooding. The fuel float height is out of adjustment or the needle and seat are worn and not sealing. Carbs aren't hard to rebuild.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9HQNQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1YDIQ3YMIVZI0

That's the kit if my Google foo and Amazon foo is working. I've asked the dealer via email if that is the correct kit too. Just trying to double check before I drop some money on this. Anyone here can verify?

Texas Prowler said:
It's flooding. The fuel float height is out of adjustment or the needle and seat are worn and not sealing. Carbs aren't hard to rebuild.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Thanks for the info!!!

check the float adjustment and installation - if not done properly that could be your whole problem and the fix is a free self adjustment...

Well figured out what the real problem is. The wires to the spark box are bare and are sparking to the block. It needs replaced. This has lead to a parts number problem again. I haven't called Mercury just yet but I was told the spark box is part number 339-5654A1 and may be discontinued. I am told by a parts dealer there is a replacement by CDI, part number 114-6222. In either case quick internet searches show its almost a $200 part! Do these part numbers sound correct?

During this fun I was able to see that both cylinders have good compression. That's a plus...