Old motor and Ethenol gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbbgood

Reaction score
I have an 1983 Merc. 80 hp. and am wondering if this ethanol gas is going to hurt it. I hear it hurts fuel pumps and gas lines and such. Does merc. have a change over kit to fix the problems we hear of?

I have a 1978 85HP Merc that I run ethanol gas in with no problems. Even sat for 2 years & fired right up with no problems.

I'd check to see if the lines are marked as SAE J1527 compliant. That J1527 standard was developed in the mid-80's specifically to define alcohol resistance because even way back then fuel distributors were putting alcohol in gasoline. That said, I have also seen older (and newer) lines deteriorate under the use of E10/ethanol fuels.

IIRC the A1 hoses are rated for use in enclosed space locations, whereas the B2 rated hose is for above deck/non-enclosed uses only, like that in an open skiff where the fuel tank is not enclosed under a deck/bulkhead. The difference between the 2 is in materials and quality of construction and of course, the price.

I don't know where you are located but odds are there's a gas station not too far away that sells non ethanol gas. If there is, just buy your boat gas from them and don't worry about the ethanol. This link might help you find some pure gas close to you. https://pure-gas.org/