Evinrude 30hp early 90's - Low Speed Needle Housing Query

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMC_Rookie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got this query posted up on iboat with no success as of yet.

I Would like the opinion of those in the know as to whether I have an issue or not.

I'm concerned about the condition of the brass low speed needle housing (not sure if this is the correct term). It's basically the brass bush that the low speed needle is screwed toward in order to control the Air Fuel ratio at idle condition. The carburettor is a Type 'A' from a 1992 Evinrude 30hp.

Low speed idle quality has always been an issue and the ability to make much improvement with the low speed needle has been limited. It appears that the brass bush / housing in the photos attached has been worn?. Anyway could it be the case that this is the shape/design of the factory part. I pulled down my old 25hp evinrude carb of similar year to inspect. The 25hp carb has a near perfect inner circle for air flow whereas the 30hp appears to have a gouge out of bush. Is this a factory difference between the two size outboards?

Happy boating

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_180740.jpg
    IMG_20160104_180740.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_20160104_181147.jpg
    IMG_20160104_181147.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_20160104_181047.jpg
    IMG_20160104_181047.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_20160104_181135.jpg
    IMG_20160104_181135.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 697
After more research this still has me puzzled. Does anyone have a 30HP Type "A" carb that they would be happy to unscrew the low speed needle and take a photo? Thanks

Have looked at this post for a while now.
Without a better look at it this will be a difficult one to answer.
First off what needle issues are you having.....be as clear as you can as that will help me.
Second...that is not wear from the looks of it. That is mis-machining but.....that carburetor needle was set to a flow setting on a machine so it should be okay. That is why I need to know what issues you are experiencing.

Thanks for looking at this pappy,

I've always had issues getting this engine to run well at lower rpm's - has a tendency to run relatively rough and splatter a bit especially with continued low rpm use (ie setting and retrieving crab pots)

I've spent time trying to tune it with this low speed needle however found it not to make much of a linear impact when adjusting the screw as per the proper instruction.

Following this I decided to purchase a carb repair kit - upon dismantling found this issue and though I better check if this could be the source of the problem and not to waste a carb kit on it.

I pulled down my old 25hp evinrude carb of similar year to inspect. The 25hp carb has a near perfect inner circle for air flow whereas the 30hp appears to have a gouge out of bush.

I'm almost leaning towards putting the carb kit into the 25hp carb and throwing that on my 30hp engine (I know the blocks are the same). but its a shame to waste 5hp.

Go ahead and do it. Carb kits are relatively cheap. What has me puzzled is that I see no mis-machining into the threads (from you photo or what I can see).
Another quick test would be to find an o-ring or steal the red seal from the kit, cut the key or tang off it, and install it then thread the needle through it. That would seal the needle and give you a valid test. You will have this seal if you bought an OEM kit.