Mercury 60hp - Swapping Manual Tilt for a Power Trim unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callmecaptain

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a power trim unit for my Mercury 60hp. It currently has a manual tilt unit on it now.

Looking for any advice before I get down to it, anything to lookout for or is the swap pretty straight forward?

I still need to get the remote switches for it as well, I was thinking one on the Mercury throttle (thumb) and one on the cowling or something.

Thanks.

keelme said:
you'll need the relays too then run wires from them to switches

Thanks Keelme, do you know if there is a wiring harness with the switches and relays from Mercury? I might have to email them or something.

There should be a dedicated harness available. Called a "trim harness" and consists of three wires and the proper connectors.
Installation is usually straight forward for engines that have not had a long history in salt water. You may have to pull one of the transom brackets or may not, depending on the engine. If you do it is easiest to pull the engine off the transom and hang it from a hoist.

Thought i responded this morning with this link to FSM's for mercury motors - guess it didn't go thru

https://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/

Thanks for all the info and link to the manual! =D>

I got the power trim unit, relay wiring hardness and switch for the cowl ordered. I just have to pickup the trim switch for my remote control handle. Can't wait to finally have power trim. 8) 8)

Well, in typical fashion this turned out to be a bigger job than anticipated. The stainless bolts in the bottom of the transom bracket that hold the trim housing were seized, I broke them all off and tried to drill them out. After about 5 drill bits, hitting my head on the lower unit, and a few choice words I decided just to look for new transom brackets on Flea Bay.

The large pin that holds the bottom of the trim unit was also seized. After getting the correct punch and heating it up with MAP gas it slid right out.

The good news is that I installed the trim switch in the Mercury Commander Remote control and that's ready to go.

Now just waiting on more parts and some new tools.

Oh yea, and since I'll be taking the outboard off again, I decided to pickup a 2 ton engine hoist from Harbor Freight. I've been wanting one for a while now and well, today is my birthday. :mrgreen:

Capt out.

Got everything back together, just wondering where I should mount the trim relays. Looking at the manual, it shows the power trim relays are supposed to be mounted where my speed limiter is?

Anyone got any ideas where I should mount the trim relays?

Thanks

wtg0iQS.jpg

Ok, I found a spot for the relays, maybe this will help someone else doing the conversion. Works great! Time to put her in the water 8)

1VquJ2m.jpg

What year is your motor? I did this last year but the kit I bought was for a couple years newer than my motor (1994) so the wire harness would not reach to the back of the motor. I ended up with the relays where you have them and haven't had any problems. Getting the old manual tilt stuff was a bit of a pain but not as bad as yours. What is the part # of the harness you ended up getting?

Hey JL8Jeff,

My motor is a 1995 45 Jet (60hp), the power trim unit I got is the model number that superseded the old power trim unit (the new p/n is 8M0055006). I believe the power trim and the relays/harness might be from an 04 Mercury outboard but I'm not sure, I don't know the p/n unless that's it printed on the relay there in the pic I posted (882751).

Latest posts