first of many questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

draggsxr1000

Reaction score
Guys im buying my first outboard. Its for my 1648 jon boat. I plan to buy online to save a few bucks. Ive narrowed it too two motors. The tohatsu 20hp. Or the suzuki 20hp. My concerns kinda offset so im asking your opinion. For the tohatsu its the carb. Since ethanol isnt going away. For the suzuki its te electronics I cant diagnose when I have an issue. Im a diesel mech by trade so I do all I can by myself. However I did find more suzuki dealers close by. Only tohatsu dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Thanks everyone

Electronics is pretty robust these days. Don't short it or hook battery up backwards & it won't be a problem.

If it does act up in a few years, then that is what dealers are for.

Dealers close by go with the suzuki. All the commercial fisherman around the river I fish run suzukis. According to them they never give them problems.

draggsxr1000 said:
Stumpalump said:
Are you buying new?

Yes brand new
In 5 years resale may be tuff with both of those. I'd look at the etecs as well. I don't think a dealer being close matters. As long as you keep the fuel system clean you may never need them again.

Stumpalump said:
draggsxr1000 said:
Stumpalump said:
Are you buying new?

Yes brand new
In 5 years resale may be tuff with both of those. I'd look at the etecs as well. I don't think a dealer being close matters. As long as you keep the fuel system clean you may never need them again.
I don't see where he is asking about resale. However, it might be a concern. I don't think he would need dealer support anytime soon, but if you do it would be nice to have one close.

I have a 30hp four stroke Mercury, which is made by Tohatsu. Only has about 50hrs so far but everything is working the way it is supposed to. This motor has EFI and I too was a little leary, but my local Merc guru says to run non-ethanol fuel and not to worry. So I guess I have to say don't be afraid of either one of the two, Suzuki's have a good rep for reliability and you have several dealers close. Find a dealer you trust, buy the motor and have fun.

John