1999 25HP Johnson Water Pump Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I recently bought a water pump kit to replace my water pump this spring and was getting all the materials required in the manual that the kit comes with. The manual keeps mentioning to oil certain things like the shift rod bushing and the inside of impeller cup for example. But it doesn't mention what kind of oil to use. Do I just use the same lower unit oil I fill the gear case with? Any ideas?

Here is a link to the manual.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/technical_information/omc_0393630.pdf

Although it won't stay there long go ahead and use a good waterproof grease on the shift rod bushing.
Use the same grease on the crank to driveshaft splines. Keep the grease off of the top of the shaft, only in the splines.
Same grease on all fasteners, both the pump fasteners and the gearcase fasteners.
Dab of grease around the grommet that receives the water tube.
I use a spray silicon on the lower plate and the cup. This keeps the impeller blades from sticking on the first start. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not. Dab of any oil will work as it will not be there long once the engine is started.
5-7 ft./lbs on the pump fasteners is all that is necessary.

I pulled the lower unit, removed the old pump parts, and prepped the mating surface. Before I install the new pump, I have read in numerous places that the driveshaft seals should be replaced as well. I posted a picture of what I'm looking at.

Are these difficult to remove and replace? If not, do i just remove the 2 back to back seals and pop in the new ones without having to mess with anything else like the bearing I see below it?

Should I just leave it alone as it didn't leak before? Seems like a good idea to replace them since they are cheap enough and the water pump is already removed.

Would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160308_211552.jpg
    20160308_211552.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 893
If the gear oil is not milky go ahead and run the seals.
Always wise to check and change gear oil once in a while. If you find water then the gearcase should be drained and pressure checked to determine the seal that is leaking. At that point make your decision to repair that seal or reseal the entire case.

Everything went well on the pump install. After installing the lower unit, I have a small shifting problem. I can shift from forward to neutral fine, but not as well from reverse to neutral. After shifting from reverse to neutral, the prop still spins. If I just tap the shift handle a little to forward it goes to neutral.

I have the shift rod linkage as tight as it will go, but It seems I still need a little more pull and it would be perfect. It worked fine before, so I'm not sure why it's like this. Is there any other adjustment I can make?

I figured it out. I didn't realize that the lower rod in the lower unit was adjustable.

Bringing this to the top. I have to replace my pump and do have a little milky oil. What is the procedure for replacing these seals. Just grab them with pliers and yank them out?

First off you need to find the seal that is leaking. There is a chance that it is or was a fill/drain screw seal and nothing more.
Use soapy water and a bit of pressure in the gearcase. How to get pressure? Use a blowgun tip but hold it well away from the top fill level screw. You only want a couple psi in the case. You should see bubbles around the affected seal.
I use a gearcase pressure tester but well aware most folks don't have this option.

Latest posts