Will a 9.9 two stroke plane a 1648 riveted Jon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jy951

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a 1648 jon and currently only have a 96 two stroke 9.9 Yamaha. Will this plane out a riveted 1648 with just me and some equipment? Around 250lbs for me and equipment? Thanks.

I would say yes but its gonna tale a while to get on plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's a GOOD hull, maybe. I've had 9.9 Johnny's in the past on 1436's that would not plane. But then I've had the same motor on a better hull that would; although quite slowly and even then the weight had to be carefully distributed. Currently own a 1548. Ran a 15hp 4 stroke on it for a while and it was a slug to get on plane. Took maybe 10-15 seconds to get it to break over. Once on top of the water it ran fairly good but just getting it there was a chore.

turbotodd said:
if it's a GOOD hull, maybe. I've had 9.9 Johnny's in the past on 1436's that would not plane. But then I've had the same motor on a better hull that would; although quite slowly and even then the weight had to be carefully distributed. Currently own a 1548. Ran a 15hp 4 stroke on it for a while and it was a slug to get on plane. Took maybe 10-15 seconds to get it to break over. Once on top of the water it ran fairly good but just getting it there was a chore.

I would tend to agree that the hull has a larger impact than many give credit. I know a lot of guys who run 9.9's on 1436's or 1236's like mentioned above. They only think in terms of hull weight when looking for a hull for their 9.9 Tohatsu's for our local 10 hp restricted lake. Then they add a TM, battery, gas tank, motor, front plywood casting deck, tackle, cooler livewell, etc. and have a boat that has a much deeper draft than it is intended to have and squats down in the water and won't get up on plane. You could take all of that same stuff and drop it in a 1648 and would be heavier due to the hull but also have a shallower draft and have a larger surface pad for the boat to ride up on plane on which would help keep it up and from getting that squatting effect.

The short answer is...I see lots of guys with 1648 Alumacrafts who fish that lake with 9.9's and they do just fine. They are definitely not fast, maybe 15 mph, but they ride on plane and get up relatively easy. Then they have a much more stable platform to fish from once they reach their spot.

Does the mod v plane easier than the standard flat bottom? I like the standard flat bottom better.

jy951 said:
Does the mod v plane easier than the standard flat bottom? I like the standard flat bottom better.
This is strictly opinion, but I don't think so. The bow helps the mod v when it comes to busting through some waves, but the bow of most boats is out of the water from the time you open the throttle until it starts to plane out, so it shouldn't affect getting on plane.

jy951 said:
I've always tended to think that a flat bottom planed a little easier but I really can't say for sure.

I'm editing to agree with the post above. It probably doesn't really matter. I'd prefer the flat bottom for a rig with a 9.9 because it gives you a wider front deck and more stability. With a wider deck it makes it usable as is without having to extend the deck which adds a lot of weight.

I run a '81 Lowes 12ft Sport V w/ '86 Merc 9.9hp with a hydrofoil. The hydrofoil reduced the time to plane to nothing. The only downside is it has a tendency to snag stumps but they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. War story, snagged a stump and lost one side of the foil and was still able to get on plane and get back to the ramp.
Good luck......tight lines.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 778
I run a '81 Lowes 12ft Sport V w/ '86 Merc 9.9hp with a hydrofoil. The hydrofoil reduced the time to plane to nothing. The only downside is it has a tendency to snag stumps but they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. War story, snagged a stump and lost one side of the foil and was still able to get on plane and get back to the ramp.
Good luck......tight lines.

Latest posts