My New Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IADIVER

Reaction score
Been looking for quite awhile for a 20HP Evinrude/Johnson outboard shortshaft for my 14' flatbottom boat, found this 18HP Fastwin the other day on Craigslist, it was 3 hours away from me but well worth the trip to pick it up. it even has electric start option added to it.
seems to run good, other than the plastic tank that came with it has a crack in the connection/gauge where the hose hooks up, so it sucks air, can't seem to find a replacement part for that, so will possibly have to purchase a new tank, unless someone here knows where I can find a new one.
it is a Dura Tank and is the single hose system.
thank you.

Attachments

• evinrude 18 fastwin.png
    evinrude 18 fastwin.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 1,291
The cost of a good 2 line tank can be high, you can convert the motor to a single line by add a fuel pump.

It is already a single line, this one already has the fuel pump on it.
I do have a couple of the dual line tanks already for my Johnson 10HP seahorse motor.

IADIVER said:
It is already a single line, this one already has the fuel pump on it.
I do have a couple of the dual line tanks already for my Johnson 10HP seahorse motor.
Sorry I misread it.

What is the model number on that engine?
Older steel tanks are plentiful and cheap (until people figure out what they have) and come in 3 and 6 gallon capacities and they don't expand and look like a football when hot. The Dura tank parts are still available as are new Dura tanks. They are one of a few that will hold their shape when hot.
Lets see what the model is as not all single line engines are 50:1 compatible. Am pretty sure your new to you engine will be a 24:1 engine and will be a super runner on that ratio.
Check the gearcase oil. If it is new then the previous owner may have been covering up a water issue. Take a look at the gear oil for the first few trips.

Pappy said:
What is the model number on that engine?
Older steel tanks are plentiful and cheap (until people figure out what they have) and come in 3 and 6 gallon capacities and they don't expand and look like a football when hot. The Dura tank parts are still available as are new Dura tanks. They are one of a few that will hold their shape when hot.
Lets see what the model is as not all single line engines are 50:1 compatible. Am pretty sure your new to you engine will be a 24:1 engine and will be a super runner on that ratio.
Check the gearcase oil. If it is new then the previous owner may have been covering up a water issue. Take a look at the gear oil for the first few trips.
Pappy, Model numbr on the motor is 15032, which makes it a 1960 if I looked at everything correctly, it says that it is suppose to be a 24:1 mix ratio, from what I gathered so far. which is what I will mix at this time. I am going to put in new water pump and all seals in the lower unit prior to running it on my Jon boat.
I have not found the part for my dura tank yet, any info on where I can get the new fitting would be a great help.
thank you.
the main reason I purchased this motor is 1) price, I only paid $250.00 for it 2) electric start, the owner of the motor prior to the person I bought it from had the electric start put on it. 3) the HP I wanted for my 14' flat bottom.

Shift rod seal will most likely be the culprit. Worst one to change the first time but easy to change once you have done it once.
Yes...24:1 and never less. Pistons weren't made of the stuff they are today and skirts will wear on less oil. Recirc systems were also not that great.
I will check on the P/N for the tank fitting.

The steel tanks I am referring to are single line tanks. Right now they are all over the place and usually dirt cheap........for now.

2 steel tanks for 20 bucks in your state. I just picked a city but they are on Craigslist all the time.
https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/bpo/5425137633.html

Here is the page with your tank on it if you want to rebuild that one. Again....accessories. 1999 for this one or anywhere around that year.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1999&model=Fuel+Systems+1999&section=Fuel+Tank+--+6+Gallon+%281%29&yid=34024&mid=34026&sid=39576

Thanks Pappy, although the part I need says it is unavailable, :-( think I will keep looking thru Craigslist and see about finding another steel tank for cheap, can't believe the prices for the plastic tanks, although I do have 2 steel tanks for my Lund that has an Evinrude 90 hp motor on it, same tank and I can't use both boats at the same time:)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Latest posts