1985 Johnson 9.9 Will this work with my remote

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldude

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 1985 johnson 9.9 that is set up for remote steer/controls. I currently have a 1984 johnson 40hp remote on my boat. Will the 9.9 work with the control/steering that I already have?

The 9.9 also comes with the tiller which I think I would prefer. I looked online at a parts diagram but I couldn't see how it would hook back up in place of the remote setup. Anyone know if this is an easy swap?

Also the 9.9 has the 5" extension to make it a 20" long shaft which I need on my 16' lund. Are these extensions problematic in any way?

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1985&model=Steering+1985&section=Tilt+Tube+Steering+Kit+-+9.9%2C+15&yid=34136&mid=34143&sid=37388

That is the kit you need to adapt a steering cable to your engine.
If you go to marine engine then Johnson then 1955 to present you will see at the bottom "Accessories ". Pick the year and engine and what you want. (Steering, throttle and shift).

There are tens of thousands of 9.9-15hp engines with the extensions out there. The factory did the extensions. No issues.

Pappy; that is the place I went to look at the diagrams. I had not noticed the accessory link on there so thanks for posting that. The 9.9 should have that arm on it since it's setup for remote steer. I haven't seen the 9.9 yet as it's 2hrs away from me.
What I was questioning is if the shift and steering cables that are on the boat for the 40hp johnson would work on the 9.9hp johnson. Using your link the cables are the same part numbers for both motors. I didn't see if the electrical connector was the same or not. Also the 9.9 comes with the tiller arm. After the PM I sent you earlier on converting my 40 to tiller I'm not sure if it would be as complicated to convert back the 9.9 to tiller steer as you pointed out the complexity to convert the 40. I hope this makes sense.

When I talk my mouth sometimes works faster than my brain, but when I type my brain works faster than my finger. Things have a tendency to come across a little muddled.

For that engine (9.9) the "tiller" functions will always work. The shift handle will still be on the side and the tiller still has the throttle twist grip in working order.
Your 40 Johnson controls will also work. If your small engine is already set up for electric start there's not much to hook up. The engine should have a push button start and stop on it already.

Latest posts