New outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy186

Reaction score
Well, I have decided instead to sell my yamaha 9.9 and just buy something new. I was looking at the suzukis, and noticed they have a 9.9 high thrust which has the same displacement as their 20hp. Is this 9.9 just a choked down version of the 20hp, maybe it has a cam stop?

What boat is the motor for...that might make a difference. Is this for the primary motor or for a kicker for a large boat?

I know that wasn't the question but was curious..

Well....we aren't mind readers so we still don't know what "the boat" is.
In general a high thrust engine is not designed for speed.
If you want to move a heavy load you move a large column of water at a low rate. (high thrust)
If you want to go fast you move a small column of water at a high rate. (normal engine)

chrispy186 said:
So does that mean the high thrust 9.9 will move the boat faster then the regular 9.9?
The 9.9 high thrust is for moving boats at low speed. Large boats for trolling. It's a trolling motor for big boats.

High thrust or bigfoot motors are made to go slow, but make lots of thrust. They work good on hulls that don't plane, like sailboats. Or barges. Anything heavy and slow they work pretty good, but that is their only purpose.

Latest posts