acts like a slipping clutch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundwc16

Reaction score
Have a 1977 25Hp Johnson mod#25E77S. Runs fine at slow speed, if I give it the gas all at once the motor revs & we don't get forward motion. My first thought was the shear pin, pulled the prop & all is good. If I give it the gas slow & steady it runs fine, & the boat gets up on plane & gets to top speed with no problem. From slow speed if I give it the gas all at once it acts like a stick shift car when the clutch is slipping. Thoughts?
Thanks, John

Possibly a spun hub. Make a mark on the prop that aligns with the cotter pin locking the nut in place. Run the motor until you get the slipping condition, then check the alignment of the mark. If it changed, you've got a spun hub. You'll need to either replace the prop or re-hub it.

Also make sure that your lower unit is low enough in the water. The anti-ventilation plate should be just above the water line when at full speed. If not, you could be drawing air into the prop area (usually more of an issue at higher speeds)

Not many other conditions provide for a slippage without significant gear noise or rattling.

I'd check the hub first.

Good luck!