proper trim position

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyjoebigdaddy

Reaction score
HI everyone. I'm a new here and I have a question about trim. I just bought a 14 foot flat bottom with a 2009 Mercury 9.9 outboard with a 20 inch shaft. I took it out for the first time and the engine runs smooth. However it just "dug" in to the water and raised the bow not even close to a plain. The boat has a 15 inch transom. I came home and started working on a transom extension. I cut a 2x12 treated pine and bolted it to the inside of the transom which raised the motor 6 inches. The anti-ventilation plate is about even with the bottom of the transom now. I took it back to the lake and it still just plowed the water. Low in the back high in the front. (I am not real familiar with tiller steer motors but I have owned several remote steer boats). But I came home and was looking it over when I noticed the trim position I had it in. It was in the 3 slot which is the highest. It has 1, 2, 3. If I move it to the one position do you think it will make a difference? Should I have mounted the 2x12 on the outside of the transom? Any ideas would be most helpful. I just want it to ride on plain. I don't care about speed but a smooth ride would be nice...thanks

The trim position can have alot to do with how the boat performs. Trim it down and see how it goes. Trial and error.

I probably wouldn't have used a 2 x 12, although it'll probably work for awhile.
I would have, however, put it on the outside of the transom just to be sure I wasn't creating clearance issues in front of the midsection. Are you able to trim the motor all the way down without pinching the original transom?
Anyway...the rest is as stated above. You should be able to change your pin position while on the water. Start at the lowest and work your way up until you don't like the ride. Then drop it down one.
Good luck.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

I hope I loaded the photos right but this is trimmed all the way down.

Attachments

• 20160228_162038.jpg
    20160228_162038.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 907
As has already been said...lowest hole for hole shot and to get her up on plane....
....highest hole for more speed.

Since you do not have hyd. tilt and trim, you have to go with whatever setting works the best for you most of the time.

Don't use treated lumber permanently on an aluminum boat.

Weight distribution in the boat can greatly affect a small boat. You can fill a five-gallon bucket with water ; cap it tightly; and tie it down in the front, or anywhere you want to try. It is the equivalent of 42 lbs. of weight.

Have fun and please keep us posted. richg99

Thanks for the input. The weight up front makes since. I moved my battery to the very front. It was wired for a front trolling motor so I just reversed the set up since I use a transom trolling motor. I put the battery on bathroom scales and it ways 58lbs. I'm going out again tomorrow. Supposed to be 70 degrees. Can't beat that for the last day of February in Arkansas. I will give an update when I get back and hopefully some pictures of some big cold water cats!

Success got a good plain. 15mph bellow is a link to a youtube video of my little run today
https://youtu.be/yK8CxCFBuAQ

Latest posts