Motor for 17' Landau

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
Hello all, I have recently acquired a 1988 17 ft. Landau aluminum boat that is configured like a bass boat. The boat did not come with a motor and I am trying to decide what to put on it. I could not find the coastguard sticker that list the max horsepower for the boat so I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me with the right size motor. Like I said, the boat is 17' long and is approximately 6' across the longest part of the transom. I've had people tell me anywhere from 40 horse to 150 hp. I could find very little information on line about the boat so I thought some of you might be able to help.

You're going to get some replies stating a formula for HP, you can go that route if you wish.

IMO, a 40 HP motor would be just about right on that rig.

Good luck.

Here is a couple of pictures. I remeasured the boat and it is actually 16' 5" long and 68 inches across the widest part of the transom. The guy I bought the boat from had a 30 horse and he said he burnt the motor slap up trying to push that boat. Could have been a bad motor to start with, but anyway... I was thinking something in the range of 50-60 hp.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 668
mdduby said:
Based on your measurements That boat is rated at 60hp max. Google is your friend.
I think that depends on who you google. The formula given in the stickies rates it at 70 horse according to my calculation, however I never was that good in math.
I just figured I'd be better off asking here because I thought someone might have a boat similar to mine and could give a recommendation.

Id put at least a 50hp on there none smaller. That's a nice tin!

Sent from the dust in front of you!