1982 Johnson 15: no start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

The history on what I have done thus far to this motor:

water pump kit
lower gear oil
plugs
T-stat (pulled the entire head, resurfaced, and replaced the gasket)
Full Carb kit
rebuilt the fuel pump

Compression is 120/120, spark tester shows good (tester, not with the plug).

Now, keep in mind that about 3 months ago this was running in my driveway. Started right up off and on for an entire afternoon. Took it to the lake when the recoil starter broke. It took me a few weeks to get that fixed, then I had to re-do it because I did something wrong.

Starter is now fully functional but I cannot get this motor to even cough.

The only thing left to question, in my limited opinion, is the rebuilt fuel pump. How can I test this?

Other suggestions?

I know I've got to be close to getting this running!

Thanks,
CMOS

try shooting a little gas in the carb throat and see if it lights. If it does its not getting gas.

You can disconnect the fuel pump line from the carb and spin it over, you should see fuel pump out of the line

its a long shot but make sure the flywheel did not spin on the crank. If it did the spark timing will be off.

I have seen this before its rare but does happen

perchjerker said:
try shooting a little gas in the carb throat and see if it lights. If it does its not getting gas.

You can disconnect the fuel pump line from the carb and spin it over, you should see fuel pump out of the line

its a long shot but make sure the flywheel did not spin on the crank. If it did the spark timing will be off.

I have seen this before its rare but does happen

When I pull that line to the Carb and turn the motor, should the fuel dribble out, or sort of shoot our in spirts?

CMOS

its probably going to be between the two.

It works off of impulses from the crankcase to cause the diaphragm to move, the faster you pull the more the fuel will shoot out

You could try doing this with the plugs pulled so you can spin it over faster

but you should get gas out of it. If you do its a good bet its working. At least enough to get the motor to light

you could also take the bowl off the carb if you can while its on the motor and see if there is gas in it should not be that hard to tell if there is gas in the carb.

can you smell gas?

vent is open on the tank, correct? Primer bulb hard? the check ball in the bulb could also be bad

JMichael said:
My first guess would be that you crossed the spark plug wires when you changed the plugs.

Can't be. Due to the lengths and shapes of the wires they could not be switched.

CMOS

You have spark, but is it at the right time....more on that later.
You have compression
You HAVENT run the engine in 3 months....plenty of time for the carb to varnish up.
As far as the fuel pump goes...nope. When you squeeze the primer bulb it will fill the fuel bow. Same as the pump would. So, the fuel pump has nothing to do with an initial start issue.
Once the fuel bowl is full (if it indeed is) if the passages in the carb are not plugged it should fire. Fuel bowl Full??
Second....that choke knob is very easy to install upside down. The wide gap should face up. If it is facing down the choke will never completely close making it very hard to start if at all.
That should give you some things to check.

Pappy,

Will the card gum up in that short period of time if the fuel is treated (it is)?

Choke assembly is correct.

I will pull the carb this weekend and check out the internals.

CMOS

perchjerker said:
so....

did you get her figured out?

Thanks for asking. No - did not have time last weekend. My 6-year old daughter drafted me. :mrgreen:

I should get to it this weekend. Just going to pull the carb, open it up, and check all the passages.

CMOS

I don't want to sound critical here, but your approach to trouble shooting an engine problem is not very sound. You haven't even identified if the problem is fuel related or not and your plan is to pull the carb apart. And according to your previous statements, you've already rebuilt this carb. But that's just my "opinion" and we all know what they say about opinions...... :oops:

JMichael said:
I don't want to sound critical here, but your approach to trouble shooting an engine problem is not very sound. You haven't even identified if the problem is fuel related or not and your plan is to pull the carb apart. And according to your previous statements, you've already rebuilt this carb. But that's just my "opinion" and we all know what they say about opinions...... :oops:

I agree. I would try the simplest things first before ripping back into the carb.

Guys - understood.

1. I have good spark on both cylinders, per a real spark tester.
2. This motor was previously running in the driveway before the recoil starter crapped out on me (twice).

My thoughts are, that since it's not even giving me a cough, I'm leaning towards a fuel issue. Pulling the carb and opening it up is a very easy and simple thing to do on this motor, BTW.

I'm open to suggestions however if y'all feel I'm going in the wrong direction.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CMOS

perchjerker said:
I gave you a list of simple things to try

I've done everything on that list except checking the fuel bowl, which I cannot access while still on the motor.

I will still pull the carb with it upright, then remove the bottom bowl and see if fuel is getting to the internals.

CMOS

perchjerker said:
oh ok you did not say that

so it lights up when you squirt a little gas in it?

Okay, I have not done THAT part yet. My squirty bottle died on me. This weekend should provide more feedback, and hopefully a solution. [-o<

CMOS

UPDATE Saturday morning 3-19:

I tested the fuel pump again - good squirts into the Carb.

I did shoot some fuel into the carb intake with a new squirty bottle - engine does turn over and try to run.

Engine will not even cough without the fuel squirt, including fully advancing the throttle in neutral.

I'm pulling the carb.

CMOS

Latest posts