Johnson 30 HP model year help? Pictures Added.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocs

Reaction score
Year and Model number help anyone?
The bracket and swivel have been replaced with Evinrude parts.
Welch plug is G3116758. I have called Evinrude and three Dealers... no luck with that number.
Carb 432703 cant cross ref that number
Gearcase 336201 cant cross ref that number
It does have the exhaust cover...

It looks like an early 90's??

Need more clues. I do recall the 90s went under flywheel power pack. Post pics of the entire motor and under the hood.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

first attempt to add pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 826
please note that the transom bracket tag is not this engine. lol
And I can only assume that the Hood/Cowling is actually from this engine as well.

You should be able to find a number somewhere on the powerhead itself. Maybe on a plug installed on the engine? Some internet searching suggests the number is on the engine somewhere. Hank

I'm thinking that may be a serial #. Look closer on the engine. There should be another plug somewhere, like a freeze plug, that has the model number on it. Probably just a number, no letters, about six digits. You may also find a part number that will work on the power pack. Water pump part number may also do it. Good luck. Hank

Thanks for the reply Hank.
These dang motors used a lot of the same parts for a lot of years, water pump was the same for twenty years! Replaced no problem.
Carb will probably need to be rebuilt, but I really would like to narrow down the year before ordering more parts or manuals.

I have a 89 evinrude tracker that is identical, 20 hp that is now a 30hp. Ive seen that carb number before and I think your'e right, it doesn't trace well. I don't think i ever actually found that number. There are several carb numbers that were discontinued , superseded whatever, but they all are basically the same. 20 to 30 usually changes a main jet, 35 has a bigger throat in carb , bigger jet and a manifold with more volume. Search around this forum for evinrude / johnson hp changes. A lot of good info there along with build threads. Hank

Rocs said:
Year and Model number help anyone?
The bracket and swivel have been replaced with Evinrude parts.
Welch plug is G3116758. I have called Evinrude and three Dealers... no luck with that number.
Carb 432703 cant cross ref that number
Gearcase 336201 cant cross ref that number
It does have the exhaust cover...

It looks like an early 90's??
FWIW, I saw a '92 and '93 Johnson 30hp on YouTube with your hood.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

edit: added videos...

1992 30 HP Outboard @0:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJFs-uOvTuU

1993 30 HP Outboard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T11J3_EC1Xg

The cowling is 92-94 like jasper said. The powerpack is under the fly wheel which was done on motors after '89 or so. The midsection is definitely 1990s, you can tell by the larger boxy looking exhaust relief ports.

I see on your paper copy that the carb is a 432705. That is a standard omc number. Is the evinrude number on the tag compatible with the engine itself? Maybe the po tried to get it the same for the future? 35E76G comes up as a 1976 35 hp electric start. Hmmmm.

Maybe this outboard is a franken/rude/johnny. If it is, so what? It looks good, parts are available everywhere, just have to use the actual part for numbering or matchup. Not as handy as an actual parts list but doable. Thankfully OMC 's have part numbers on practically everything and they will cross if needed. Hank

Have you figured anything out? There is a resource on tin boats that will take you to the service manual for 76 thru 89 28 to 40hp models. I hope you can make her sing. Hank

Sorry, the paper is wrong on the carb number, the number is 432703.
I am going with it as a 1992 Johnson.
put the boat in the water this past weekend... purred like a kitten. Reverse just fine, Forward didn't fare well.
Pulled the lower unit again. Forward gear and Clutch dog trashed.
btw, that retaining ring sucks to remove.
Thanks for the replies

Glad she runs good, still some fine tuning tho. you'll get it. I have a carb with that same number, I never did find it in a search. It has all the same insides as all the others. I expect your spot on with the 92 date. Have fun! Hank