Question for Bassboy1....when you get a chance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcsdchief

Reaction score
Sorry for the trouble Bassboy, but from what I've read and others have posted, you are the man when it comes to outboards.

I wanted to know if you could tell me the oil/gas ratio for a 1978 Johnson 35hp. Model # 35EL78R. I've been mixing 50:1 and its been running pretty good, but not sure if thats right.

And, for anybody else: I'm looking for a lower unit case for the same motor. I found one on ebay, but it was in worst shape than mine, and a new one costs almost as much as I paid for the boat and motor. If anybody knows anybody, that knows somebody, that has a used one for sell, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
This site is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50:1 is the correct ratio for that motor.

For others reading this, the official stance on OMC (Johnson/Evinrude/Gale) motors from 1964 to the current is 50:1. Now, some of the small motors (under 10 horse) from '64 up until the early to mid 70s will prefer 40:1, as they still had the bronze sleeve bearings.

Why do you need the whole lower unit? What is the matter with yours? You said it ran well with 50:1, so obviously, the lower unit isn't toasted, or you couldn't run it period. You may be able to do better by getting the individual part(s).

Thanks for the speed in answering the question, as usual you are the man. =D> As for the the lower unit, I just need the case. Mine has a crack in it, that has been welded. Don't know how it got cracked, but as of right now the motor does run well. I would just feel better with a replacement. If I can't find a replacement, I may just have it welded again this winter.

Thanks again for the help.

Lower units sometime crack if water got past the seals and over the winter it froze.

Or as in my case.. hit a log,rock.. drive way was steeper than it used to be :)

So yea.. Depending on the location save some cash and get it welded again..