Johnson 3 cyl 25 problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaguarJim

Reaction score
Hey everybody new to the fourms here. I have a 1998 3cyl 25hp Johnson Model#J25RMLECA. it was a rope tiller that i converted to an electric start remote, had dealer do install. ran fine in tank on idle at dealer. took it out a couple times. and each time it was real pain to get started off the trailer, smelled gas, figured I flooded it, finally got it going, but was rough on idle. after running down the lake shutting down and fishing for a while, was even harder to to restart, took a few mins each time I wanted to change fishing locations, once I got home looked things over since I smelled gas, found primer solenoid was leaking gas at hoses, and bottom gasket of primer solenoid, and carb bodies (3pcs carbs) looked wet like gas was leaking between gaskets. got all fuel lines tight, and took off carbs and tightened top and bottoms of each one since they were barely hand tight, took it out again this weekend, still smelled gas after started, wouldnt idle worth a crap again, and just as hard to start from each fishing hole. figure it could just means carbs need rebuilt as well as fuel pumps. want to know if anybody has same issues. I know these motors were notorious for powerpack issues, but this doen't seem to be the case cuz It'll run all day long at WOT once I get it started and the quickstart function works correctly, new spark plugs to boot, also I noticed in my parts catalouge that there is only one fuel pump repair kit offered, but it has 2, which one is rebuildable and which one isnt?. thanks for an answer or anyobdy who can help. Jim.

I have the 96 evinrude version of this motor and while I'm not experiencing these problems to this extent, I'm sure information you acquire will help me out soon enough...subscribed!

p.s. Have you adjusted the throttle/advance linkages on the starboard side per the fsm? I did and it made an improvement during startup.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

fl.graderman said:
I have the 96 evinrude version of this motor and while I'm not experiencing these problems to this extent, I'm sure information you acquire will help me out soon enough...subscribed!

p.s. Have you adjusted the throttle/advance linkages on the starboard side per the fsm? I did and it made an improvement during startup.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper
I will look into that, I do have the service manual, and I will look into that, guy i fish against at the local lake has a couple of these motors, he did warn me they are hard on the restart sometimes, very easy to flood, but this just won't Idle, or start easily at all. I had a merc 3cly 60 for a few years and it was tricky to get started too, but like i said this goes beyond being hard to start. thanks for the tip BTW. Jim.

since you are smelling gas, unless the fuel pump is physically leaking gas I doubt its the problem, since its delivering gas to the carbs

I think the "link and sync" as FL. suggested is a good place to start. its real important on these motors.

I have a Johnson 200 hp same vintage and it shares a lot of the same things, I have found that the primer jets are too small and I have to (first startup only) is to pump up the fuel bulb, push in the primer, hold it in, count to 5. Then repeat this 3 times (pump the bulb first to re-pressurize the system each time)

then it lights right up. If I dont do that its not giving it enough gas and I am just cranking and cranking

Not saying this is yours problem, doesn't sound like it is, but just sharing that. I dont know that it even applies to these smaller motors.

The other fix for this is to drill out the primer jets but I am too lazy to take the carbs off to do that, this works fine for me

perchjerker said:
since you are smelling gas, unless the fuel pump is physically leaking gas I doubt its the problem, since its delivering gas to the carbs

I think the "link and sync" as FL. suggested is a good place to start. its real important on these motors.

I have a Johnson 200 hp same vintage and it shares a lot of the same things, I have found that the primer jets are too small and I have to (first startup only) is to pump up the fuel bulb, push in the primer, hold it in, count to 5. Then repeat this 3 times (pump the bulb first to re-pressurize the system each time)

then it lights right up. If I dont do that its not giving it enough gas and I am just cranking and cranking

Not saying this is yours problem, doesn't sound like it is, but just sharing that. I dont know that it even applies to these smaller motors.

The other fix for this is to drill out the primer jets but I am too lazy to take the carbs off to do that, this works fine for me
I will try pump prime sequence too, worse I can do is flood it, or better yet start it.
As far as the leaking I figured since the carbs and primer solenoid looked wet around the gaskets I had some leaking, fuel pumps aren't leaking, was just concerned that they had lost their ability to maintain pressure since it is an 18 year old motor.
And I fished with a guy that had same gen motor in a 200hp also, it was carb looper and it was a pain to start just like you said yours is.

Latest posts