Compatible Year Models

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
I know that with cars, there are certain years grouped together in which most parts are interchangeable. I've got a 1981 Johnson 70 and was wondering if there might be other year models in which the parts would fit my 81? Thanks

You run in to the same thing with cars, motorcycles, outboards, and may other things. The problem is that some parts are used over multiple models for maybe 20 years, while other parts might have only been shared between models for 5 years or only with a portion of that same group for 7 years. And as far as I know, there is no manual that groups them together based on shared parts. You just have to pick a specific part number, then look at a parts cross reference to see what models shared that particular part. Of course this sort of information isn't very useful until you start looking to source replacement parts from salvaged motors because that part is no longer manufactured new.

Do you have your outboard serial number?

Google "outboard parts" and you'll find a few websites where you can punch in your model or serial number and it they will show you all your parts.

Once you have that p/n, you can google it again and see if there are newer p/n's that supersede your old p/n.

It depends on the part and manufacture but to answer your question, yes, most likely there will be parts from other year outboards that will fit yours.

Look up the parts diagrams for your model on places like marineengine.com or boats.net, then click some of the parts which you think you may need to replace at some point. When the part page loads it typically lists all the years and models it is associated with. It will give you a general idea.