Running with a Power Tilt Kit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I have a question about my ’85 Evinrude 50HP. It has an accessory Power Tilt Kit, which is a cylinder on the starboard side of the motor that will lift the motor. There is NO trim function to the switch, as it does not slow down when the motor gets close to the operating position.

Having experience with tiller outboards, I always unlocked the motor when running so if I were to hit something the motor would jump up reducing the amount of damage done to the lower unit. With this mechanism, there is no way to unlock the motor. It is in the position fixed by how far the rod is extended from the cylinder. The top of the rod is attached to the power head with a pin.

DSCN0379.JPG

So here is the question: Do I just run the boat with the motor locked in position hoping for the best, or is there a work-around that will give me a motor that can kick up if needed?

Usually trim/tilt only raises the motor....at least all the factory ones I've seen. It uses gravity to lower the motor. See if you can pick the motor up yourself when it is unlocked. If it doesn't budge, there's your answer.

I'm about 99% sure that's only for manual tilt outboards, some will have a latch to lock it and unlock it. I struck my old outboard on the way out to a duck hunt on my old boat, that will wake you up real quick. :lol:

Or get a tunnel hull and hit less stuff :D

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
My motor has electric tilt/trim. It works as I described. All tilt/trim may not work like this.

Yea, it must vary then, my mercury power trim actually forces the fluid up and down. I guess that's why my transom saver says "must be used with a power trim only". Just the weight of the outboard sitting on the transom saver wouldn't be enough to keep it stable while trailering (is that a word? If not, I just made it up :)).

From the Mercury manual:

"Operating “Down” circuit will actuate the “down” relay (located under engine cowl) and close the electric motor circuit (motor will run in opposite direction of the “Up” circuit). The electric motor will drive the pump, thus forcing automatic transmission fluid through internal passageways into the “down” side of the trim cylinder. The trim rod will move the engine downward to the desired angle."

Latest posts