New to outboards have a 89 evinrude 9.9 need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite8798

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what I need to do to get it running seller said it only has 20 hrs on it what do I need to do to ready it for this season
Ex oil change change plugs lower unit flush?
Any help would be appreciated

I assume it's a 2 stroke. If it runs already, change lower unit oil, new plugs if you want. I'd run some Seafoam through it as well, just use double oil for the first couple tanks. Their's a good thread about seafoam on here.

Absolutely change your water pump impeller and check/drain/refill your lower unit fluid. With it being somewhat of an older motor and low hours and not much use you likely need to change all of the fuel lines. I'd get new plugs and keep the old ones as spares. Like has already been mentioned, treat your gas with a concentrated dose of Seafoam or Mercury Quick Clean to help clean your carb a little bit.

You may want turn in the low speed mixture screw until lightly seated and note how far out it was set. You likely don't need to mess with it but you want to verify that it isn't screwed all the way in or set too lean or else you will never get it to idle and you can burn up a piston at wide open throttle. Typically less than 3/4 of a turn out is too lean. Anything more, I'd leave it where it was originally set. If it is way off set it to 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Crank it and run it briefly to ensure it is pumping water. Then warm it up to make sure the block and head are heating up but not to the point that you can't touch the head for a few seconds by hand to verify your cooling passages and thermostat is working.

As long as it is adequately pumping water and cooling, the lower unit is sealed, and your carb is not set too lean you should be able to take it for a test run. If you have any problems report back.

Cool thanks guys I'll change all that I can and try some kind of cleaner in it to help with the carbs I'll report back

You can get your spark plugs from an auto parts store. Fuel lines can be bought from most any Evinrude dealer. They aren't make specific. I buy mine off of eBay. Gear lube can be bought at Walmart. Impellers can be had online or at a dealer. Read through this page in the link. Lots of good info on your motor there.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

To be honnest I would call around and find someone who you can take it to to have them go through it and freshen it up for you.

I was thinking about just taking it in but I would like to learn how to do it as well I'm pretty mechanically inclined just never messed with an outboard

cj_tiz said:
To be honnest I would call around and find someone who you can take it to to have them go through it and freshen it up for you.

Its a very simple motor that sounds like its not going to need much to bring it up to speed.

I would do the work myself, so that I could familiarize myself with it.

I would not call in a professional unless absolutely necessary

perchjerker said:
cj_tiz said:

Its a very simple motor that sounds like its not going to need much to bring it up to speed.

I would do the work myself, so that I could familiarize myself with it.

I would not call in a professional unless absolutely necessary

I agree. All of the basic stuff involved in a "tune-up" on these motors can be done by most anyone. A mechanic will charge you a solid chunk to do it too. It's been a long time since I had an outboard mechanic do anything for me but I think I was charged $100 for an impeller replacement and gear lube change. For reference, an impeller is about $20 and gear lube is maybe $5 and both can be changed in less than 30 minutes. May take a newbie longer but no more than a couple hours and you save some cash and gain some good knowledge on your motor in the process.

Those are popular motors too so there are likely some how-to videos on youtube for them as well.

Ya I'm a machinest manufacturing pumps and turbines i should be able to handle a 2 stroke lol I've also gotta old guy at work that's going to help me the first time around

Latest posts