98' Force Mercury. How does it sound?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euroshowoff

Reaction score
So had a lot of trouble with this motor last year missing spark in the top cyclinder, tilt/trim issues, and the starter died. I have since replaced the starter cables, starter, new trim relays, new spark plugs, and new cdm modules. So far on a warm day, it starts almost immediately without having to choke or prime the bulb in some cases. The tilt/trim hasn't given me an issue, and I now have spark in both cylinders. I know the motor is almost 20 years old and i'm not really sure how it should run/sound at its current age so i'm posting a video in case someone has some information they can share with me. It seems to misfire when idling, however when ive given it some throttle, it sounds like its running strong. I plan to put it in the water as soon as the temps get higher. Tell me what you think.

https://goo.gl/photos/CXy9HzWXyTuMAzXg9

perchjerker said:
I think its about as good as its gonna get. Sounds fine to me

I would run it and wee what ya got!!

Thanks. Hopefully the power is restored on the water now that I got spark in both cyclinders.

I have a 1994 70hp Force. It sounds similar on muffs. It isn't real smooth and almost sounds like it is missing. However, if it is run in a tub it is much smoother and the "miss" is gone. Running in a tub is optimal because the exhaust is now under water and creates back pressure which helps hold the engine at a steady speed and makes it run smoother. Also, Im assuming your motor has a single carb. I watched the video yesterday so I can't remember the hp but if it has more than 2 cylinders and a single carb sometimes the top cylinder will run a little leaner and at idle it somewhat hinders its "smoothness". I'd say yours sound fine for being on muffs. Take it to the lake and try it out and see if it idles/sounds better on the water and runs out good at high RPMs.

BTW, don't forget to set your idle speed in forward gear, on the water, and to 750 rpms. Also, make sure your slow speed mixture screw 3/4 turns out or more...any less and it can run too lean and damage the engine.

Latest posts