1968 Chrysler 9.9 cooling system question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryarsallen

Reaction score
I am not new to boats or outboards but I've never owned one quite like this. The model# is 901. From what I've read, it's kind of a rare motor (or I can't find much about them). That being said, I bought the motor from an older gentleman who didn't use it for 2 years. I've put it in a barrel to see how it runs and it runs like a champ. I didn't notice a pee stream only to find out these older motors don't pee. I changed the impeller, thankfully because it was worn, but I'm still worried it's not getting water flow. I've heard it comes through the exhaust in the foot. How do I check this? I bought rectangular muffs but they don't quite seem to fit (I've never used muffs before--just a barrel). Maybe I'm missing the water intake? Just kind of nervous about it.

Take a look under the engine cowl.I think you will find its an air cooled engine. You are correct in saying the water pump only pumps thru the exhaust. This helps to cool the exhaust and the unit overall. Back in the day, 60s and 70s , clinton built a lot of these little outboards and chrysler had a bunch too.

if its not air cooled, you will know soon enough if its pumping water or not. Just keep touching the powerhead and check its temp

You should also be able to see a water intake in the lower unit if it is water cooled.

I would just change the impeller (if it has one) anyway to be on the safe side

I had an old 9.6 Chysler and it was water cooled.

Latest posts