1992 evinrude 8hp missing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd1980

Reaction score
Over the winter I purchased a Evinrude 8hp short shaft to use a kicker. The kid I bought it from had some trouble getting it going in the tank he had but did get it going and everything seemed ok. I could not get the motor to fire up this spring. Long story short is the kill switch is bad, no big deal I unhooked it and motor starts and idles fine. Tested the motor today on the lake and it idles great and starts easy but starts to miss when picking up. I got it home and did a little research and performed a drop down test by pulling the plug wires off to see a change in rpm. At idle pulling either plug wire makes the engine run rough. While in gear and the throttle engaged pulling the bottom plug wire has no effect on the engine. So all I really know right now is that im losing spark on the bottom cylinder when trying to pick up rpms. Im not much of a mechanic, can someone tell me what this means? Or possibly some other things to check to maybe narrow down the problem.

First thing I would check is compression on that cylinder to make sure it's within specs around 90 and above.another thing is to make sure spark plug cable is not shorting to ground stuff like that are the most ones we overlook.

Well after a lot of head scratching and testing other things I Ws having coffee yesterday morning and looking at the manual something popped out at me. On the exploded parts diagram of the carburetor I saw a gasket that I did not remember seeing when having the carb apart 10 diffrent times. Sure enough the gasket in the bottom of the bowl that seals off the high speed tube was missing. Went and picked up a rebuild kit and dropped the missing gasket in and it runs like a top. Feel so stupid for not noticing it earlier. The crazy thing is that the carb was supposedly rebuilt before purchase. I guess I figure that since the place I bought it from sells and works on boats they would not have forgot to put a part back in the carb during rebuild. Had the motor on the lake yesterday and it ran great and trolled all day long without a hiccup. Another nice improvement I'd it is one a one pull start.
Thanks
Josh