1978 15 hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
I am trying to convert a 1978 15 hp Evinrude long shaft to a short shaft. Anyone know where I could locate a short driveshaft and shifting rod. I looked on Ebay but no luck. I see new is available but hate to go that route if I don't have to. Anyone out there want to trade the longshaft parts for the short shaft parts?

Per other places on the web, a good welder should be able to cut off 5 inches of the driveshaft and weld it back together. Likewise, a machine shop could likely make you a new shift rod but 5" shorter.

You could also do like pappy says and buy a whole used lower from a short shaft. Use the short driveshaft and shift rod and keep the best LU and sell the other one with the longshaft parts.

wmk0002 said:
Per other places on the web, a good welder should be able to cut off 5 inches of the driveshaft and weld it back together. Likewise, a machine shop could likely make you a new shift rod but 5" shorter.

You could also do like pappy says and buy a whole used lower from a short shaft. Use the short driveshaft and shift rod and keep the best LU and sell the other one with the longshaft parts.

he would still need a shorter housing along with the other stuff unless I am not understanding this that is if he went with cutting the shafts down

Most long shafts I've seen have a spacer in between the lower & upper.
Try Van's Sport Center in Grand Rapids Mi.they have a lot of used parts.

Not to keen on having it cut and welded but may as a last resort. Ill keep a eye on ebay and check out a few of the salvage places that I can find. Vans sounds like a start. Thanks

crazymanme2 said:
Most long shafts I've seen have a spacer in between the lower & upper.
Try Van's Sport Center in Grand Rapids Mi.they have a lot of used parts.

Yeah, my 1982 9.9 Evinrude is a longshaft and the only difference between it and my 1982 15hp shortshaft is the longer driveshaft and lower shift rod, a 5" exterior spacer and an extension for the water pump to water tube.

Dig a little and see if the short drive shaft for your model fits other years and models. That way you can possibly broaden your Ebay search. I'm 95% sure the driveshafts were the same for the 9.9 hp and 15hps in the 70's like they were in the 80's.

I bought a complete motor on CL for $100. 1968 Evinrude 18hp that seller had completely pooched the carb with something corrosive his buddy had told him to clean it with. After looking it up online the drive shaft was the same part number as my 1961 Johnson 18hp that I had snapped the drive shaft on going too shallow. OEM part was $300.

Just a quick update. Found another but it was a long shaft but it was in like new condition so I went ahead and ordered the parts new. Figure I have lots of spare parts now so the 200 for the correct driveshaft was worth it.

Latest posts