1982 Johnson 9.9 outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymybob

Reaction score
I just got done replacing the impeller on my 1982 Johnson 9.9 with no problems taking the lower unit off, removing the shifting cable, taking the impeller off, etc. The lower unit was snug and need some force to get it off but it did. My best guess from the impeller is that it's original to the motor.

So, after replacing everything, I'm trying to put the lower unit back on and I can only get it on with a gap of about 3/4" and can't budge it any closer to closing the gap and reattaching the bolts.

Anyone ever have this happen or know why this won't go back on? Any help would be fantastic!

try turning the motor over a little-might just need to move the crankshaft a bit to get the splines to line up

Also make sure the water tube is going in correctly, I've had the best luck with the motor vertical, not tilted. Good luck.

If it's like an evinrude which it should be make sure the set bolt on the clamp for the shift rod is out far enough

Well, I'm back to square one. When I put it in forward gear, the lower unit goes right into place and I can screw the lower unit back into place but I can't get it to go into forward gear afterwards. I tried again with it in reverse and the shifting cable is to far up to connect with the clamp screw. When in neutral, the cable is close to the clamp screw but not enough to attach it!

Back to square one. Any other suggestions?

I'm so close!!!!

I just did my '76 15hp and was not bad. I pulled up on the shift rod in the lower as far as it would go, engaging reverse fully to expose the most rod possible. Then I put the shift lever fully in forward to expose all the rod I could. The groove in the rod fell right into place in the coupler. Slid in the bolt and tightened.

Not sure about a cable in that zone though...

Oh, you can spread open the coupler some to help engagement.

Sinkingfast said:
I just did my '76 15hp and was not bad. I pulled up on the shift rod in the lower as far as it would go, engaging reverse fully to expose the most rod possible. Then I put the shift lever fully in forward to expose all the rod I could. I put dict tape on the shift handle to hold it into forward gear. The groove in the rod fell right into place in the coupler. Slid in the bolt and tightened. I had to do a couple of runs with the shift rod as the shift rod in the lower kept going into neutral.

Not sure about a cable in that zone though...

Oh, you can spread open the coupler some to help engagement.

Just following up. Finally got it on with the advice given. Much harder than I thought! LOL! Thanks everyone!

Latest posts