Sea foam deep creep in 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmar

Reaction score
So I thought I read on here to remove the spark plugs, spray in the seafoam all around, wait about 4 hours, and then start her up. Does that sound about right? I have a 1979 9.9 evinrude that sat for a few years behind a garage. I already have it up and runnning nicely, just looking to clean it out a little more. I haven't pulled the carb because of lack of experience with motors and don't want to screw anything up just yet. Got quoted $230 to clean the carb from a shop and there's no way I'm paying that.

If it's running nicely like you said, I would not pull the carb. If you wanted to clean it out some,I would add some seafoam or the equivalent in the fuel. Say one ounce to the gallon or whatever it says on the can and run it and enjoy.

almost forgot, if its been sitting for a while, change out the impeller in the water pump.

If you want to decarbonize the motor you get a can of Seafoam and one gallon of gas oil mix. Pour about 3/4 of the can of seafoam into the fuel mix and run the motor for a while, put the remaining seafoam in a small spray bottle and spray it into the carburetor. It's going to smoke. Let the motor sit for half an hour or so then restart the motor.
It's going to smoke a lot!
That's all the carbon coming out of the motor

Thanks. The first time I fired it up I noticed no water was coming out of the tell tale and I cleared out the tube then installed a new impeller and it works perfect now. Earlier I added some quicksilver fuel treatment to the gas tank and ran it through. It did smoke some, but not to much. That's why I grabbed the sea foam. How exactly do I spray it in the carb? Do I remove the tube where the fuel goes in and spray there? Sorry, total newbie to 2 stroke motors.

Jmar said:
That's why I grabbed the sea foam. How exactly do I spray it in the carb? Do I remove the tube where the fuel goes in and spray there? Sorry, total newbie to 2 stroke motors.
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Straight in the throat of the carb.
... spraying directly into the carbs misses the small orifices in the carb itself.

IMHO you're better off adding to the fuel as someone else posted. Pappy also recommends adding additional oil to the mix. run for 15-mins and shut-off ... restart and let it clear out. Repeat, repeat ... the Seafoam/Deep Creep works when the motor is OFF, not running ...

really, since its running fine I would not mess with it

I have a saying if it aint broke keep fixing it until it is.

adding some seafoam in the fuel is never a bad idea but I don't know if I would go much farther than that.

just get it on the water and run the crap out of it

2 strokes love to be run hard.

seafoam in the fuel will help with the fuel system cleaning

seafoam in the engine (through the carb throat) is for decarbonizing the motor

these are 2 different operations.

So was this your old motor or is it new to you? However you got it, your very lucky it fired up with little effort. Not using an outboard is by far the worst thing you can do to it(running it out of the water excluded of course).

Lordy...... I wish someone would put some of this information as a sticky!

When and if you want to de-carbon the engine you spray directly into the throat of the carburetor.
On a small engine you will have to raise the RPM to the point the engine will not stall. Most engines as a matter of fact.
With OMC Engine Tuner I will spray around half a can in a small engine. Full cans in a V4 or larger.
Let the engine die from overloading it with your favorite decarbon chemical.
Let the engine sit overnight..............yes.....overnight.
Mix additional oil in your fuel....double it.
The engine will be getting rid of small hard chunks of carbon.....this stuff has to go somewhere so the addition oil is there to protect the engine.
It is not an immediate cleaning, it goes on for a while so protect your investment! The cleaning does not stop when you quit pressing the button on the top of the can.

Latest posts