a tip for 2 stroke motors with remote mounted oil tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchjerker

Reaction score
I read this on the Continuous wave last week.

Use a turkey baster and take a sample from the bottom of your oil reservoir.

Put it into a small glass jar and examine if for water. Since oil floats on the water if you have accumulated any in your tank over the years it may get sucked up into your motor.

I have a 95 Grady White with a Johnson 200 and I doubt this has ever been checked. I know I have never done it the boat 8 years I have owned it.

While doing my spring commissioning this weekend I checked it.

Sure enough, I have really nasty stuff on the bottom of the tank! The baster I used is clear and as soon as I took a sample I could see cloudy nasty oil right away in the tube without even putting it in a glass jar.

Man I am glad I caught it since it could have been the end of my motor!!

so do yourself a favor and take a look, only takes a few minutes

thanks

perchjerker said:
Use a turkey baster and take a sample from the bottom of your oil reservoir. Put it into a small glass jar and examine if for water. Since oil floats on the water if you have accumulated any in your tank over the years it may get sucked up into your motor.
Yup, good tip ... did it for years! Should be a seasonal check item ...

I had a motor with remote oil res. First thing I did was to unhook it. I mixed my own oil and gas. I Don't trust a pump. If it gos out the motor is still running and using straight gas..

Latest posts