Frozen steering tube

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an '81 Johnson 70 hp that has set up for a few years and the steering cable is frozen solid inside the steering tube. I've saturated it with PB Blaster over a several day period, but still can't get it to budge. Just wondering if some of you guys might be able to offer some suggestions on how to deal with it. Thanks for your help.

Sorry to tell you this but your going to have to replace the cable. Usually what happens is the cable will fray inside the tube and get locked up. But maybe someone else here knows more about it.

billyjoebigdaddy said:
Sorry to tell you this but your going to have to replace the cable. Usually what happens is the cable will fray inside the tube and get locked up. But maybe someone else here knows more about it.
Yeah I know I'm going to have to replace the cable, but I'm trying to find out how to remove the steering cable from the steering tube on the motor. The cable is frozen on the inside of the steering tube and won't come out.

Oh sorry. I found a video that may help you. The link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKyDorsRKXM

May NOT have to replace the cable. Never assume you have to. Usually it is the steering tube that is rusted up and the cable will be okay.
Leave the drag link in the cable eye.
Remove the large nut on the starboard side of the steering tube. The cable nut not the steering tube nut.
Take a large plastic mallet and see if the cable will move. Probably will. Big brass hammer as a last resort.
Once the cable is to the point where you have to remove the drag link and the cable is starting to dissapear in the tube then it is time for a brass drift against it and keep driving it out.
This is assuming you have the room to do it at the cable end. Do not make any kind of tight bend if you want to save the cable.
Once you start driving the cable out you can check the cable by turning the steering wheel. It will push out and retract the cable and you can see if it is easy or not at that point.
If you cannot remove the cable without making a tight bend then the engine has to be removed and hung from a hoist. Again....no tight bends!
If you decide that the cable is junk then take a big pair of cutters and cut the cable off just near the big nut. Tie wrap and tape the new cable (steering wheel end) to the core wire and pull it through from the helm end. Easy!
Now.....the other part of this. The steering tube will be rusty as heck inside it.
They make special circular wire brushes for this that look like a 12Ga. bore brush. Buy one and use your fave chemical with it and go to town with a battery drill cleaning out the tube. When clean install the cable after coating both inner and outer cable with waterproof grease.
Re-install engine if you had to remove it.
Go Boating.

FWIW I've had success removing stuck cables by judicious use of a 'heat hammer' (torch) or heat gun.

Just WATCH OUT for combustable parts/areas ... but the heat works great to soften up the old grease that has locked it together.

I've done everything mentioned except applying heat. The cable itself is a pile of rust too. No need to try and save it. I just cut it off to get it out of the way as I don't need it anyway. The part inside of the steering tube/tilt tube is frozen rock solid with rust. I've sprayed it good with PB Blaster and have tried knocking it loose with a big hammer, but no success. I think I'll get the torch on it and see if that helps any. I've never seen anything so frozen like this. Thanks for all the tips. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks

billyjoebigdaddy said:
Oh sorry. I found a video that may help you. The link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKyDorsRKXM
\
Thanks, but I saw that video. I thought I was going to die watching that fellow trying to take that nut off with that cheap crescent wrench there in the beginning :LOL2: That had more to do with the cable itself. It wasn't frozen inside the steering/tilt tube like mine is.

Latest posts