Who knows old Big Twins

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
The goal is a well done engine under a Lark IV cowl. The question is what should the compression be? I now have a '61 & two '62s, all 40 hp. All of those cylinders read between 89 and 93 PSI checked with two gauges. Apparently OMC never let compression #s out, but somebody knew back in the day. I've read here and there anything between 90 and 130 with 100ish being acceptable. I need a # to shoot for before I start tearing down 3 to make one. On a 4 stroke if you know the compression ratio you can find the proper compression with a bit of math. But it seems jonnyrude didn't let that info out either. Anybody know? Gonna drive me to Merc, how can you build a proper engine w/o the basic info!!!

Johnny said:

https://www.aomci.org/ Dedicated to the Preservation and Restoration of Antique Outboards

Yep, checked the archives and posted the question last week. Some good sound advice but if anybody knows the #s they're not fessing up. FREE BEER for anyone that can give me the answer! Otherwise I'm gonna have to strip one down, check / mic the bores and re-ring just to see what it can give.

Pappy has posted some very sound advice over the years
about reviving old motors. Flush with OMC Tuner, then
run a tank or two of 24:1 mix. (time and patience - time and patience).
Some of these older motors have never been opened up. So there
is no telling what the past owners have or have not done.
Always approach each project as if the previous owners knew
zero about maintenance and upkeep.
When you say you want a "well done" motor - exactly what is it
that you are expecting ?
Just refurbish it to the best of your abilities - then after running it for
awhile and you are still not satisfied with the performance, then,
tear it down completely and rebuild it from scratch yourself.
90-100 compression is decent for a 56 year old motor. (IMO)

Okay - I can give you typical pressures that I have seen but then you would have to check your engine with MY compression gauge to compare.
Your numbers, once again, are good. If you would have given numbers down in the 70s I would have told you different information.
Also......Before you "just go into one and re-ring it" ya' better start looking for oversized pistons and rings. Oh heck just look for standard rings!
Pretty hard to find these days.
A 2-stroke well into it's service life does not take well to the additional clearance you will be putting in it from honing and another break-in procedure.
OMC Engine Tuner can and will break the carbon loose on the rings if that is what is going on.
Purchase intake by-pass cover gaskets and exhaust cover gaskets and inspect the pistons, rings and cylinders without pulling the engine down and make the best decision based on what you see.
But what do I know!

For me a "well done engine" is sound on the inside and tidy on the outside. I "expect" the best I can do with what I have to work with. Pappy, I took your advice seriously. Removed the side plates, carbon but what shows looks OK. I just had to remove the head. Its true & waterways look fine. Bores look great, surprised there's no ring grove up top, is that normal? No tool marks or paint chips on the bolts or screws on the block or head to indicate its been apart. I won't go any deeper unless you recommend crank seals or ?????

Sounds like you have a pretty good runner on your hands then. If you want to do crank seals by all means now is the time to do it. One thing is for sure...you will not regret doing it!
Plenty of tuner when you get it running. That will free the rings and your numbers should increase a bit as well.