Fuel/water filter and direct sunlight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

answer3

Reaction score
I just bought a fuel/water separator filter to reduce stuff going into the carb, and they say on the instructions not to put it in direct sunlight. The issue is everything at the back of in my boat where I keep the fuel tank and battery is in direct sunlight... Is it really problematic to keep the fuel/water filter in direct sunlight? My fuel tank has the pressure release valve in case vapors need to get out, but I don't think the fuel/water filter have such a thing. Do I risk the fuel to expand and cause leaks or explosion?
I am curious to know where you guys put such filter in your boats. I was thinking to screw it to the transom or the side of back of my seat but maybe I should consider another way to do it?

Just cut a piece of board, plastic or what ever and hinge it to your back bench. Attach a small piece of wood to the inside of your transom for it to rest on...bingo, an inclosed bilge compartment.

Just take a piece of hose and zip-tie it around the filter if it is one of those small inline filters. They may be concerned that sunlight will damage the plastic filter screen inside the filter defeating its purpose.

yeah KM, I am thinking the plastic is not UV tolerant.
A rule of thumb is to replace the inexpensive inline filters every season.
Mine is two years old and so yellow you can not hardly see the insides.
(time to change it).

oh, I was just kidding about painting it white - LOL -
I am a painter - that is what I do - I paint things.

Here's a plastic cover for fuel-water separators, only $20 shipped from Seller named 'onlineboatparts013' from eBay.

Attachments

• F-W Separator Cover.jpg
    F-W Separator Cover.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 455
the filter I have is a Sierra 10micron:

9399411.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any plastic. The head is aluminum and the cylinder (filter) is also metal. Since the filter will be connected to the fuel line that has a fuel pressure valve, do you guys think the pressure in the filter would be taken care of by that pressure valve?

Thanks for the info on the plastic cover DaleH. If I end up buying that I will probably paint it in white so it absorbs less heat from sunlight (and also to make Johnny happy :D ).

The concern is over vapor lock occurring. If you have a problem you can probably find that plastic cover mentioned above or build something to block direct sunlight. If you go with the black plastic I would buy some plastic spray paint from the local hardware store and paint the cover white. I wouldn't do anything unless you experience problems. Hope this helps.

Latest posts