Question for Old Motor Gurus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds Good

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Along with my free boat project, I was given a motor that I was told has run in the last few years. Having never owned a boat with any outboard motor, I'd love any information you can give me about this motor. The only thing I can find on it is that it is an Evinrude Fastwin with a serial number of 18402D-E03670. I'd love to know the age of the motor and the fuel mix along with anything else that someone "in the know" might know of.

Thanks!

1964 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp.

Kinda borderline on the oil mix. That was the year it was changed to 50:1, from 24:1.
40:1 should be plenty safe in that engine. Many recommend running the 18 horse and above motors at 40:1, even back into 1960, when they were recommended at 24:1. Personally, I would run 40:1 in that engine.

Stick her in a barrel of water, and see if you can fire it up. Sometimes these old OMCs will start right up after sitting for many years. Even if it does, I would rebuild the carb, replace the water pump impeller, and possibly the breaker points and condensers.

That depends on what parts you are looking for. I am assuming you are talking about the carb kit, water pump impeller and such - basic maintenance parts, not repair parts, right?

Never actually bought outboard parts from them, but NAPA supposedly carries a large quantity. Also, if you have part numbers, you would be surprised at what a dealer can get for you. A vast majority of my parts come from a Carolina Skiff dealer near dads work. I also get some parts from iboats.com. They sell Mallory and Sierra brand parts, which are usually cheaper than the OEM parts from Bombardier (which doesn't matter for you, as those OEM parts extend back only into 1968)

You can get a factory reprint manual from outboardbooks.com (google it. You can type in the address bar, and it won't work, at least with firefox, but if you google it, and click the first link, it will. Go figure).

i had a 1971 50 HP. i ran it 50:1. they have roller berrings . the heavier oil mix was for the older babbit berrings .i have a evinrude shop manul for the 72 . it has roller berrings . will check the mix to be sure . [ if i don`t forgit it ] #-o . i am pretty sure it is 5;1

this site will have most anything and information on any outbord made .
https://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
https://forums.iboats.com/