What's it worth?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowgrn4

Reaction score
Elderly Marine on tiny disability across the canal from me at our fishcamp has an outboard he wants to sell. He has no web access and is way out in the middle of nowhere so I offered to help him sell it here in town on CL. 1998 Yamaha 5 HP 2-stroke. 46lbs with inboard fuel tank and remote tank fitting. F-N-R shift. Engine has been stored indoors since new, it has never been fueled or started. It is 18 years old and looks absolutely brand new with all the dealer tags still attached, no scratches whatsoever. A true time machine. Looks like this.
1458799271554.jpg

New 5HP 4-strokes are selling for $1,300(Tohutsu) up to $1,650 (Honda). He needs the dough and I want to get him top dollar. Ask $850 and take $750 on CL? Ask more? It would be a great little kicker for a small Jon, Tender or sail boat.

richg99 said:
See if you can also post it on https://www.microskiff.com Lots of interest in small motors there. richg99

WOW! Great site, Thanks.

Gonna splash some 25:1 ethanol free break in fuel in it and see if that 18 year old impeller is pumping first thing next weekend. If it is I'll be bringing it home and see what I can get for it.

I buy and sell small outboards, if that is brand new regardless of yr I would ask $1000obo,it's a Yamaha and a 2 stroke, I would start there. Also i wouldn't start it if u haven't yet because it will make it more valuable without any use,once it's paid for then u can run it to make sure it's all good to go. I put my 24yr old 20hp 2 stroke mercury outboard on cl to see what I could get and I asked $2150,yes you read it right, lol, $2150 for a 24yr old outboard that is in pristine condition and I had a buyer till I decided I just couldn't sell it and I decided to keep it,so yr is not that much of a factor compared to condition.

It is absolutely brand new. Never had fuel in it or been wet. It is Model # 5-M-SHX.

I'll start at $1K and see what happens.

Thanks.

Be very patient, if your in no rush it will sell in time. I may go $1000. Leave the obo out to,you will be suprised how in demand a brand new 5hp Yamaha is. Heck start at even $1200 if u want.

Wow,what part of Florida you from? That makes that motor easier to sell being in fl.

Howdy Neighbor.

We love puttin' the Weeki Wachee and the Chaz rivers just north of you. But NEVER on the weekends.

Awesome, it's a sweet little motor,2 stroke outboards are beyond gold value standards anymore,they are priceless and people are will to pay big bucks for them. I just picked up a 25hp 2 stroke mercury with only 3hrs on it,it is I mean cherry pristine. It hasn't even been broken in yet that is how new it is. Always remember, 2 strokes are priceless.

scoobeb said:
Awesome, it's a sweet little motor,2 stroke outboards are beyond gold value standards anymore,they are priceless and people are will to pay big bucks for them. I just picked up a 25hp 2 stroke mercury with only 3hrs on it,it is I mean cherry pristine. It hasn't even been broken in yet that is how new it is. Always remember, 2 strokes are priceless.

They are still available on the illegal black market without warranties. I've heard stories of fishermen, cruisers and racers that frequent the Bahamas bringing back brand new engines. The 2-Strokes are still hugely popular worldwide but not here :cry: thanks EPA.

Next time you're in the Bahamas check out this dealers inventory.https://hbsmarine.com/

I just got my hands on a 2002 25hp 2 stroke mercury with get this,less than 3hrs of use,not even a 6 gallon tank of gas used on it yet. The motor has been sitting since 2002 under a boat cover. I got a 1448 alumacraft jon boat,magic tilt trailer and the outboard, all used under 3hrs in freshwater only. It is dirty but after I clean it,it will look like it just came out of the box. 0 corrosion on it,the boat and trailer look brand new,the paint on the boat is faded of course,fl sun will do that but structure wise it's perfect. It's a jon boat,they all have crappy paint on them. I will take a picture of it and you can see. He has the original manual to,not one chip of paint off the original prop,it's beautiful. I just got a 20hp 2 stroke mercury to a few months back in I mean cherry condition like this one but it's a 93. Now I have to run this newer one and see which I like better, than sell one or I may keep both, who knows.

If I could actually purchase a brand new 25hp 2stroke mercury or Yamaha out of the box I would hands down and I would pay upwards of 3k for one that is how good these engines are imo. I think I may have hit the jackpot though with this 02 merc,it is as clean as you can get without pulling one from the box.

New River Rat said:
You're saying 5 HP, cowling says 15 HP....?
You asked what I was thinking,lol. If that was a true new 15,you should of gotten 2k at the very least,I know that would of brought easily $2500 in my area,I would of sat on it like I am my 2 mercs till you get what they are truly worth. 5hp you did ok,even know $1000 would of been more along the lines but if that was a 15hp for $850,whoever bought that is counting their lucky stars like I did getting the package I just did,lol. A deal like that comes along like never to once in a lifetime only if it was a 15.

Around here (Oklahoma) that's a $600-$700 motor new or not. I would definitely start it to make sure it runs. I wouldn't buy one that I couldn't hear run first.

Latest posts