need to change the plugs when rebuilding carbs??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamalivin

Reaction score
I have acquired the new (used) carb for my evinrude that I have been looking for. I have ordered the rebuild kit and it's on the way. I have watched a video or two on line regarding the rebuild process, and noticed that one of the videos mentioned pulling out the plugs for proper clean-out. I also noticed that the kit comes with what appears to be replacement plugs from the pictures. So I guess my question is, is this necessary for a proper cleaning, as I know nothing about the new (used carb) that I just received. It looks like this would be the one area of the carb that it could have serious issues if it doesn't seal like it should, and I was curious what you guys and gals have done in the past?

Why would you only clean most of the carburetor? Do the job right and you only have to do it once.
There are calibrated idle and off-idle feeds under the plug that any debris at all can and will block.
To remove the plug simply drill a 1/8" hole in the plug at the center. Be very careful and use very light pressure and a slow speed.
You do not want the bit to plunge through and hit those holes below it. Be ready for it. Pry the plug out.
Re-installation only requires a tiny socket or a large flat punch. Firmly tap the new plug in place. If you still don't feel good about it then grab your wife's/Mom's clear nail polish and spread some around the edge of the plug.

I appreciate the advise guys! I will do just that, when it gets here I will take care of the COMPLETE rebuild and cleaning. Again, I appreciate the response to what seems like a dumb question!

I took the shortcut once and learned my lesson.
We're just tryin to save you the troubles we learned
the hard way.
Good Luck with your motor.

Steve A W