Weeds in the prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormerParatrooper

Reaction score
One place I fish has a lot of hydrilla type weeds. They are just under the water and not always visible until you are in them. I have a 1967 Johnson 9.5HP. Is there a device or type of prop I can use to cut down on entanglements? I have done some looking, and am not sure what really works and what is a gimmick.

There is nothing manufactured currently that I am aware of. Years and years ago there were weedless props for these engines.
I also fish in hydrilla fields but use the trolling motor to get through. When I am ready I get to a hole in the hydrilla, fire up the gas engine and am on plane and gone. If you have speed you can get through it. Slow? Prop will load and you will lose cooling water pretty quick.

someone made a weed cutter that you could glue to your lower unit with an epoxy putty.

It kind of looked like a squared off single edged razor blade, but was real thick.

It was placed right near the forward edge of the prop and when the prop caught weeds they would spin and this blade would cut them off

I had one and it worked real well

Wish they still made them, have not seen one in years

real simple device that really worked

being curious I just id a search and found this, its the same principle, but I dont know how good it works

https://www.great-loop.us/outboard-weed-guard

I bought a SPS Swamp Runner mud motor because of all of the swamps and veggie filled stuff down here, plus the skinny water flats to the south and the oyster bars to the north of me.

I have one of the medium kits on a Lifan 15hp engine from Home Depot. Only problems I've had have been from the engine itself. The longtail has performed without hiccup and has impressed me a bunch. The engine has given me some trouble but, it seems I got a lemon based on everything I've read about them. Came with a broken valve spring which kept causing it to bust rocker arms. Just now getting it worked out. You can put a Honda($6-800) or Harbor Freight Predator ($350) on them in addition to a few other engines.

They are a sponsor here if I recall correctly. https://www.mudmotorkit.com

Pappy, Perchjerker and Sunshine, thanks for the insight. Hard to tell what is a gimmick anymore, so glad you all chimed in. I think I need a bigger trolling motor, lol. 28lb thrust on a 14ft boat does not equal much speed. I think I have an idea where to go with this now. Thanks again.

Latest posts