Is a new small outboard worth the money?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63Monark

Reaction score
Im looking to upgrade my 55lb minn kota endura max with a 5-6 hp gas motor like i originally had which it had came with from the dealer in 1964 but parts were to expensive. Ive been looking at the tohatsu line and they are averaging $1300 for a 6hp which is alot for me since im still in high school and stuck at a minimum wage job with only 30 ish hours a week. Is it worth the 1300 or should I find a older Jonhson or Mercury for cheaper?

Dear 63monark,

If you think you'll never need more than a 6 HP motor for the rest of your life then it makes sense to buy a new one.

I doubt you think that though?

Depending on where you live it's not hard to find good running well maintained 1970's and early 1980's vintage used 5 and 6 HP engines from every manufacturer imaginable for $ 300.00 to $ 500.00 every day on Craigslist. I think used is definitely the way to go.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

I agree with Tim.
There were many 5&6 hp motors made in the sixties and seventies.
Finding a used one and slapping in a water pump is going to cost a
lot less than $1300.

Steve A W

I can't disagree with the previous comments but as I've gotten older (read ... lost patience with the sometimes cantankerous older motors) I like the reliability of new. It comes down to what you can afford.

Good advice above, especially the notion of buying new if you expect to have it for many years to come. At your age and given the propensity of boaters always wanting something bigger/better/newer - and given you're in high school you might want to get something used for now that is easier on your budget. This would give you time to figure out what you really want in the long-run and maybe the "opportunity" to learn how to tune-up or rebuild an outboard motor. In that case there are lots of people here to help. I like your enthusiasm at your age and willingness to seek the advice of others to make your decision. BTW, this site is a gold mine, so make sure you take advantage of the good will and smarts of the people here. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

My Coleman 5 HP 4 cycle was $300 used. It went out just once, the owner was afraid of the water and they put it for sale in a consignment shop. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Use word of mouth and let people know you are looking and it has to be in your price range. It will come to you.

I've seen some like new but used 9.9's and 15 HP 4s for $1500 in my neck of the woods earlier this year. Even some older/vintage 2s's for $300 or so. Tough decision. Get as many ponies as you can for your hull. CL is a good source, just have to be careful who you buy from.

Newer technology is great. Bought dad a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke for a song and a dance. Pulls with almost no effort at all. He is 72 so his shoulders aren't what they used to be. No mixing oil and the motor can ran all day on 3 gallons of gas. He is gonna wear the **** thing out because its so easy and inexpensive to operate over his old 18 Johnson and the power difference isn't as much as you would think.

Thanks everyone for the support. My local academy had put a Coleman 5 hp 4 stroke on clearance for 749.99 normally 999.99. Im still looking on my local craigslist but nothing is really standing out to much.

63Monark
What part of the country are you in?"
Check out an AOMCI [ https://aomci.org/ ] meet and see if you can find
a motor for cheap. Many chapters have an auction of donated motors
to help defray the cost of the meet.
At our last meet a couple people donated good motors to the club.
There was a 1963ish 10hp Evinrude that went for 45 bucks.
Not sayin that it happens all the time but it happens.
Good Luck with your search.

Steve A W

The "right" used motor would be a better budget stretcher , and with patience one may turn up of a vintage to match your boat.
Running below max. horsepower is not always a fun thing. I do that on my smaller boat because money for a higher horsepower new motor was not there at purchase time. While broke in properly and dependable ...these decades later a higher horsepower would have been worth the search for used or the wait for a new one.

Research how to check a used one out...
Plan on a tune up and new impeller unless proven fresh. A spare prop if not already there should be another consideration with all motors.

Should you buy a new one , break it in by manufacturers suggested method.
That takes time with some , and will affect your fishing if time is precious.

Best wishes to you.

I'd say, since you are in high school and $1000 plus is a bunch of hours in a part-time job, you would be best served with an older Johnson/Evinrude, with the impeller etc, checked out by a pro. The old 2 strokes are workhorses, and you should probably be able to get one in the $350 range, and get it checked out, with the impeller work, for no more than $150.

A new motor for somewhat in your situation is a needless expense, in my opinion.

Best wishes and be safe.

buying an older used motor has it's perks....in that they're usually cheaper initially then buying a new one.

BUT.....

Will you be buying someone else's problem? Can you fix it yourself? Do you have the patience to mess with it? How do you feel about being on the lake/river and potentially having a breakdown?

Kind of like hashing out "buying vs renting" a home. Lots of pros and cons of both.

Buying new:
you have warranty, should you need it.
the chances of having problems is drastically reduced. Especially the better brands.
A little bit of peace of mind goes a long way on the water....trust me.
Can the new motor be financed? That could make it easier to afford.

Been in your shoes...but I was raised on beans and weenies, and occasionally peanut butter & jelly. Didn't have no money to speak of. So we had to fix old junk, and when I started my first job I had some background with mechanical stuff. I picked up a 14' jon and a 9.8 Mercury and used the poop out of that old rig. I didn't even have a trailer, just threw the motor into the back of the boat then slid it up in the back of my old El Camino. Had to work on the motor often but the good thing is that it was dirt simple....it had ALL of the neutral start mechanisms removed by the previous owner so I had to be real careful about starting it. Only major problem I had was losing the lower cylinder (no compression) while out on the water...had to limp back on about 3 horsepower but I made it. Put a set of pistons and rings in it and it was good to go, really it needed to be bored/honed but I had no money.

Thing is, if you don't have any mechanical aptitude, then a new motor might be a better option if you can somehow manage to save a little money. If you have any knowledge, by all means pick up a decent used one and figure on a carb kit and a water pump right off the bat.

Latest posts