Need help with Johnson 8 horse increase power

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prowelder

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Johnson 8 horsepower motor. I am wondering if there is a way to increase the horsepower without spending a lot of money. I have done a little research and heard you can change out carburetors and prop. Any information would be appreciated

I have the 1997 Evinrude 8 HP. Not sure you can swap carbs on these. The 6 and 8 are on the same platform. However, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Can you get that boat on plane now? How low in the water does your bow sit at full throttle? I bet it's like mine and won't plane and is low. If that's the case is acting as a displacement hull and it will only go so fast. You would have to go with something like a 20 hp to get that boat to plane would be my guess

if you are not looking to get on plane, then you might be at your top speed now and a little more hp wont help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

okay now the motor keeps hiccuping it idols fine and runs at slow speeds fine but when I accelerate and run full throttle it cuts out for a second and jumps

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Kismet said:
I'd look at the connections of the fuel line...both at the tank and to the engine.

best wishes.
Fuel connections are good fuel connections are good I ran a different motor with the same lines in everything works fine

perchjerker said:
I thought your buddy was giving you a Honda or something

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
I have a Honda 7.5 that runs great. That's what I'm running now. V8 horsepower Johnson is about 10 years newer. I've kind of given up on it now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to increase horsepower in the Honda can I change the car and intake with a 9.9?

Latest posts