Will a new prop help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
Alright guru's I've got a 1958 lonestar semi V that I've decked. I just acquired a mid 80s 8hp Nissan outboard. I took it out for the first time it ran great but I just feel like it could have been faster. What can I do do make it a bit faster. Was considering a different prop. Ive got a 3 blade on it now. Don't know if a 4 will help, maybe it's just to heavy for that size motor. Any idea? Here's a pic of the prop and boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20160613_173029.jpg
    IMG_20160613_173029.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_20160612_135904200.jpg
    IMG_20160612_135904200.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_20160611_202232382.jpg
    IMG_20160611_202232382.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 934
what was it like before you decked it?

Can it get up on plane?

because that the key to speed. If you can get it to plane then its acting as a displacement hull and will only go so fast

on my build (which is very similar) It wont plane fully loaded with 2 people

but by myself, it will and acts like it has a different motor on it

very nice job by the way!!

a new prop may help depending on what your answers are

Any idea what rpm's the motor is turning? The rpm's are key to picking out a prop.

Man I wish I had solid awnsers to the both of you. This was the boats first time on the water since I've owned it. Got it as a leaky SOB that shoulda gone to the metal yard but I saw potential in her. Did a full restoration on it so I honestly don't know how it planed before. With me, the motor and a full 6 gallon tank all in the back it seamed the plane out alright. Just not fast. I know I'm not going o go real fast but it just seemed a bit slow.a and if I add a front trolling motor, second person and light gear. I'm afraid I might over power the engine.

As far as RPMs go I'm not sure. I didn't have a motor yet and my wonderful wife for early father's day found this motor and bought it for me. Had the carb rebuilt, new plugs, impeller seal and pump seal replaced. Good running motor. But unsure of the actual RPM.

Ditto ... get a Tiny Tach for best results.

But the max RPMs for that motor can be found, then plug in the OB and hull info (or suitable/similar hull - weight/specs - to yours, as you have an oldie!) in this prop calculator and see what it says:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37433

Thank-you all so much. I took her out again today. With the weight of a second person upfront it planed out much better. Definitely ran much better. Guess I just need to play a bit more with the trim. And Wight distribution when running by myself

firstresponder01 said:
Thank-you all so much. I took her out again today. With the weight of a second person upfront it planed out much better. Definitely ran much better. Guess I just need to play a bit more with the trim. And Wight distribution when running by myself

good. I figured that would help more than a prop

Latest posts