HONDA OUTBOARD HELP...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutnstrut

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1997 18 ft Polar Kraft. The boat has a 50 hp 4 stroke that I believe is in the 2000 era. Today I decided to clean up the rat nest of wires and install a fuse block. As I worked on clearing wires that had been zip tied to the steering cable and outboard remote control I found a single green wire coming out of the rear of the remote control under the key ignition and kill switch. This wire was not hooked to anything on the other end. WHAT DOES THIS WIRE CONTROL AND SHOULD IT BE HOOKED TO POWER?.

Internet - Google brand, model # of engine and the words "wiring schematic" etc

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

probably an accessory like a hour meter or something

I would not hook it to power without knowing what its for, you may fry something

as long as it runs ok and everything works I would not worry about it

Im kinda with perchjerker - if it isn't makin problems, don't go lookin for em.

Now, if it were me, I'd take my time to learn what it is, in the meantime. But, I'm the sort that has a service manual for toasters! LOL

I had the boat out several times, as i am working out the bugs and all appeared ok. I recently has the carbs rebuilt and yesterday took the boat out for a spin. I did notice that when i shifted the control in forward position and proceeded to accelerate the shifter arm traveled some before it began to accelerate. Does the throttle linkage need to be adjusted

rutnstrut said:
I had the boat out several times, as i am working out the bugs and all appeared ok. I recently has the carbs rebuilt and yesterday took the boat out for a spin. I did notice that when i shifted the control in forward position and proceeded to accelerate the shifter arm traveled some before it began to accelerate. Does the throttle linkage need to be adjusted
1. So you shifted and engaged the gears?
2. Then applied throttle and it traveled, without any response from the engine?

rutnstrut said:
pretty much. Felt like it had dead space before it accelerated. The motor ran good
It does sound like an adjustment is needed.
There is also the notorious "4-Stroke Wait," where the engine has a lag in throttle response while it gets all the internal rotating and reciprocating parts moving.
But it shouldn't have a 'dead zone' where its obvious nothing has happened at the motor end.

Can you get the cowling off so you can see whats happening?